September

Parameter
The Official Newsletter of the Chicago Chapter of the American Statistical Association
September 2018
In This Issue
September Luncheon 

Title: 
Advanced Analytics & Machine Learning:  
A Practical Application - Insurance Litigation Prediction

Presented by:
Mei Najim, CSPA
Founder
Advanced Analytics Consulting Services, LLC

Tuesday, September 18, 2018
12pm-1:30pm
The East Bank Club
500 N Kingsbury
Chicago, IL 60610

President's Letter

Chicago Statistics Community,

I am extremely excited to kickoff the Chicago American Statistical Association 2018-2019 season. It is an honor to serve as your President for this coming year and we have a lot of items that we are really excited about.

I step into this role having inherited an extremely solid organization. This is 100% due to the efforts of previous years, including Kwang-Youn Kim who did an outstanding job as the 2017-2018 President. The chapter is on financially firm footing, our membership has continued to grow and we are continuing to offer phenomenal programming in the form of luncheons, conferences and workshops.

I would like to introduce the board that is responsible for continuing the stewardship of this very successful chapter. Each of them bring a great breadth of experience and a strong commitment to serving the Chicago statistics community.

President-Elect: Julie Schmidt
President: Adam McElhinney
Past President: Kwang-Youn Kim
Secretary: Richard Smiley
VP Communications: John VanderPloeg
VP Conferences: Mary Kwasny
VP Luncheons: Don Patchell
VP Membership: Veena Mendiratta
VP Publicity: Sang Mee Lee
VP Treasurer: Gerry Funk
VP Workshop: Joe DeCosmo
Historian: Ed Hirschland
ASA Council of Reps: Steve Olson
At large directors:
Anthony Babinec
Larry Hedges
Joseph Retzer
Borko Jovanovic

We recently had our first CCASA board meeting of the season. I asked the board "What goals do we want to set for the chapter for this season?" Two items were put to vote and unanimously agreed upon. They are:
  1. Hold at least one event that allows the chapter to promote the work of student statisticians
  2. Conduct at least one event highlighting the work of women in statistics
Both of these are very worthy goals. The exact mechanism for these initiatives was deliberately left undefined. Part of the work of the board will be to examine where this fits into our current content offerings or determine how to expand our programming to accomplish these objectives.

I am extremely excited for this upcoming year. I would love to hear from our membership and I invite you to personally email me at adam.m.mcelhinney@gmail.com with suggestions on what this chapter can do to better support the Chicago statistics community.

Humbly yours,
Adam McElhinney
   2018 Statistician of the Year Award Dinner:
   Thursday,October 18, 2018
Hold the date: Thursday, October 18th, for the CCASA annual Statistician of the Year Award dinner.  The 2018 honoree will be Jeff Wu of the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.  He will be recognized for his work on the convergence of the EM algorithm, resampling methods such as the bootstrap and jackknife, and industrial statistics, including design of experiments, and robust parameter design (Taguchi methods).  In addition, Dr. Wu is credited with coining and popularizing the phrase "Data Science".  The evening agenda will include a social hour, presentation by Dr. Wu, and presentation of the Statistician of the Year Award.  We hope to see everyone there!
   Chapter Chatter
See updates and news about ASA Chapter initiatives and activities including our very own Chicago Chapter in Chapter Chatter.