The ASA Section on Statistics and the Environment (ENVR) was formed in 1990 in order to fill the need for representation within the ASA of the rapidly growing field of environmental statistics. The ENVR is interested in a broad range of statistical issues and activities linked by a common focus on the development and application of statistical methods to environmental research and policy.
The Charter of the ENVR identifies the following services and activities:
An annual awards ceremony and reception is held on the Monday evening of the annual Joint Statistical Meetings. Highlights of this occasion are the presentation of Distinguished Achievement Medals and of Student Paper Awards and Travel Fellowships, both for contributions to the field of environmental statistics. ENVR recently introduced the JSM Presentation Award for the best contributed paper in an ENVR-sponsored session at the JSM. That award is also announced at the annual awards ceremony.
- Organize invited and contributed sessions and round table discussions at the annual Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Sponsor or cosponsor with other organizations meetings, training courses, and seminars on topics related to statistics and the environment.
- Publish proceedings, monographs, reports, and newsletters to disseminate the results of activities sponsored by the Section.
- Advise governmental and nonprofit organizations on statistical aspects of environmental issues, including study design, data collection, and data analysis and interpretation.
- Encourage early and substantial statistical input to environmental studies, including those supported by both the public and private sectors.
- Serve as liaison between the ASA and other professional organizations with similar environmental interests.
The ENVR is one of three ASA sections supporting the Journal for Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, jointly managed by the ASA and the International Biometric Society. Each year the ENVR cosponsors a number of interdisciplinary meetings with other statistical and environmental organizations, including other sections of the ASA. Papers presented in sessions sponsored by the ENVR are eligible to be published annually as part of the Joint Statistical Meetings Proceedings for the ENVR. ENVR also holds a bi-annual workshop on a topic of interest to environmental statisticians.
Active membership participation and advice is greatly encouraged. This may be accomplished by contacting any of the Section Officers. A membership survey and strategic planning effort form the basis for the direction of the ENVR and have lead to several new initiatives. Three such initiatives are the development of this website, the production of a section newsletter, and creation of a Committee to Nominate Fellows.