The Statistics in Imaging Section of the ASA cordially invites submissions for a student paper competition for research on statistical methods, theory, or software development for the analysis of imaging data. The selected winners will present their papers in a topic-contributed session at the Joint Statistical Meetings in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Aug 5, 2023 – Aug 10, 2023. The first-place winner and runners-up will also receive a cash prize of $1,000 and $500, respectively.
To be eligible, the student must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be a degree candidate at an accredited institution in any term during 2022.
- Be a current member of the Statistics in Imaging Section of the ASA and be able to present the paper at JSM 2023.
- Be the first author of the paper. The paper must not be published or accepted for publication at the time of submission.
The deadline for application is December 15, 2022. Formal applications should be sent to the Statistics in Imaging Section 2023 Program Chair-Elect, Kristin Linn, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following four attachments in PDF format:
- The applicant's Curriculum Vitae;
- An unblinded version of the manuscript with no more than 25 pages, including the abstract, figures, tables, references, and any supplementary materials;
- A blinded version of the manuscript;
- A letter from a faculty member familiar with the student's work. The faculty letter must include a verification of the applicant's student status, confirm that the student is first author, and describe the contribution of the applicant to the paper.
The award committee will review the papers, and winners will be notified by January 15, 2023. Papers are scored for 1) statistical novelty, 2) innovation and significance of contribution to the field of application, and 3) professional quality. Students may submit papers to no more than two ASA sections and may accept only one section's award. Students must inform both sections they applied to immediately when she or he wins and accepts an award, thereby removing the student from the award competition for the other section.
Please send questions regarding the Statistics in Imaging Section student paper competition to Kristin Linn (email@example.com).