The Mental Health Statistics Section of the American statistical Association (ASA) was first established as an Interest Group on Statistics in Mental Health Research (SMHR) of the ASA. The formation of SMHR was approved in June of 2011 by the Council of Sections Governing Board of the ASA and the Group because a Section in January of 2013.
The goals of the Mental Health Statistics Section are:
1. To provide a forum for the communication among statisticians who are interested in mental health research and communication between statisticians and mental health researchers and other stakeholders, to facilitate the use of sound statistical methodologies in mental health research;
2. To facilitate the development and application of statistical methodologies for mental health research; and
3. To promote career opportunities for statisticians in mental health research.
Please see our Mission Statement for further information.
The Mental Health Statistics Section:
Please join us, participate in our activities, and develop new activities that are of interest to you.
- Supports an online forum to facilitate the sharing of information among members regarding career opportunities, funding opportunities, conferences and other activities, book reviews and journal clubs, and interviews with leaders in the field.
- Sponsors and co-sponsors invited sessions and topic-contributed sessions at the Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM) and other professional meetings
- Hosts meetings during the JSM and other professional meetings for members to convene and network.