2023 Annual Meeting

The Alabama-Mississippi chapter hosted its annual conference on March 31, 2023, at The School of Public Health, The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Sixty current and prospective chapter members attended from The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), Mississippi State University (MSU), The University of Mississippi (OleMiss), Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC), Auburn University (AU) and University of West Florida (UWF). The conference featured a keynote presentation and student oral and poster presentations.

The keynote speaker was Dr. Leslie McClure, who is Professor and Chair of the Department of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, as well as the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs at Drexel University.  She has served as Chair of the Board of Directors for the National Alliance for Doctoral Studies in the Mathematical Sciences and is a Fellow of both the ASA and the Society of Clinical Trials.  The title of her talk was “You learn something new every day, the life of a collaborative Biostatistician”.
mcclure

Keynote speaker presentation

Title: You learn something new every day, the life of a collaborative Biostatistician

Abstract: John Tukey famously said: “the best thing about being a statistician is that you get to play in everyone’s backyard.” Throughout my career I have been able to play in a lot of yards, and each has taught me something new statistically and scientifically. In this talk, I will describe how my work as a collaborator has led to interesting statistical developments, with a focus on how the statistical methods have enriched the scientific investigation. In particular, I will describe work my team has done in the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)-funded Diabetes Location, Environmental Attributes, and Determinants (LEAD) Network, a collaboration across several sites, concerned with understanding the role of community-level factors in geographic differences in diabetes incidence and prevalence across the US and across demographic groups. I will emphasize the importance of bringing together experts across a variety of fields to enrich our scientific exploration.

Students below presented their research in various fields of statistics. 

Mahmud Hasan, Ole Miss. “Error Analysis of generative adversarial network with Talagrand inequality”.
Li Zhang, UAB. “Bayesian generalized linear models with structured horseshoe prior for compositional microbiome data”.
Sakie J. Arachchige, MSU. “Risk prediction of primary ovarian insufficiency by an early age among female childhood cancer survivors”. (first place oral presentation winner, tied)
Yagmur Yavuz Ozdemir, AU.  “A multi-model framework to explore ADHD diagnosis from neuroimaging data”. (third place oral presentation winner)
Mous-Abou Hamadou, OleMiss. “Estimation problems for some perturbations of the independent copula”. (second place oral presentation winner)
Chia-Ying Chiu, UAB. “Markers of lung degradation and emphysema”. (first place oral presentation winner, tied)
Ihsan Buker, UWF. “Use of Jackknife subsampling prior to multiple imputation for robust estimation under uncongeniality”. (third place poster presentation winner)
Chathurika Abeykoon, OleMiss. “The double descent behavior in two-layer neural network for binary classification of data”. (first place poster presentation winner)
Jinhong Cui, UAB. “A Bayesian mediation analysis method for zero-inflated negative Binomial mediator”. 
Andrew Sims, UAB. “Population-average mediation analysis for zero-inflated count outcomes” (second place poster presentation winner)
Mathias Muia, OleMiss. “A point on discrete versus continuous state-space Markov chains” 
Zamzam Qazi, OleMiss. “Parameter estimation using p-generalized Gaussian smoothing” 
Sahifa Siddiqua, OleMiss. “Comparative study of some coupla based reversible Markov chain” 

Students Oral Presentation Abstracts 

Students Poster Presentation Abstracts

Conference Pictures