ONLINE COMMUNITY EXPECTATIONS
The goal of the ASA Community and other virtual environments is to support collaboration and connection that promotes the practice and profession of statistics and data science. Contributors should consider how the content will be received, and contributions should be clear and improve the discussion. Be mindful of how your comments will be received and be respectful of your colleagues. This document supports the ASA Code of Conduct by providing additional context for online conversations and other virtual activities.
- The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Don't challenge or attack others; let others have their say, just as you may.
- Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them. Don't post commercial messages on any ASA Group.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in an ASA Group message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
- Remember that the ASA Community and other email list participants have the right to reproduce postings to this ASA Group.
- Send your message only to the most appropriate list(s). Do not spam several lists with the same message. All messages must add to the body of knowledge. The ASA reserves the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, and location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals—not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the EGroup. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
The Legal Stuff
These ASA Groups are provided as a service of the ASA for association leadership. The ASA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. The ASA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the ASA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the ASA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the ASA and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The ASA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event any inappropriate posting is brought to the ASA's attention, we will take all appropriate action.
The ASA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.