[10/14 update: I added in AHRQ info because of recent ASA member interest in the House's proposal to zero it's budget and the Senate proposal to cut its budget by 35%.]
The FY16 federal budget will be released February 2, 2015. This blog entry will track FY16 appropriations developments for NSF and NIH and so will updated accordingly. (See log updates below.) To receive notifications of updates, follow ASA Science Policy on Twitter: @ASA_SciPol.
Because this blog entry covers everything from the budget request to the final determination of the budget, it can become quite long. To help with that, I'll try to partition the blog entry:
See also FY16 Statistical Agency Budget Developments.
|| % increase
|| % change
|| $381 million
1FY14 and FY15 levels are Program levels. FY15 NIH level includes Ebola funding.
Levels in billions of dollars
Latest Action: *Subcommittee mark-up; **Committee mark-up; ***Passed the Floor
See also these reports on the FY16 budget request:
- The money chase, 2016: U.S. budget out today, be ready with this six-chart primer on science spending, David Malakoff, ScienceInsider, 2/2/15.
- NSF Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Request, Commuting Community Consortium (CCC) blog.
- FY 2016 Budget Request: National Science Foundation, American Institute of Physics FYI
- White House fleshes out Obama’s $215 million plan for precision medicine, Jocelyn Kaiser, ScienceInsider, 1/30/15.
- NSF's new budget reflects White House priorities on climate and environment, Jeffrey Mervis, ScienceInsider, 2/5/15.
- Budget for 2016 accentuates the practical, Jeffrey Mervis, Science, 2/6/15.
- Biomedical initiatives get top billing in budget rollout, Jocelyn Kaiser,
Kelly Servick, Science, 2/6/15.
- CISE AD Issues Letter to Community on FY 16 Budget Rollout, CCC blog.
- Obama budget seeks big boost for science, Boer Deng, Richard Monastersky, Lauren Morello, Sara Reardon & Jeff Tollefson, Nature, 2/5/15.
- AAAS analysis
Reports on Congressional Consideration of FY`16 budgets
- House spending panel does its best to hide large cut to NSF social and geosciences research, Jeffrey Mervis, ScienceInsider, 5/22/15.
- Congressional Republicans split over climate, social science spending, Jeffrey Mervis, ScienceInsider, 6/15/15.
- House bill would give NIH $1.1 billion more in 2016, Jocelyn Kaiser, ScienceInsider, 6/16/15
- Senate panel approves $2 billion raise for NIH in 2016, Jocelyn Kaiser, ScienceInsider, 6/23/15
- NIH sees reversal of fortune with proposed funding boosts, Sarah Karlin, Politico, 7/7/15
- Budget agreement boosts U.S. science, ScienceInsider, 12/16/15.
- 12/23/15: COSSA Analysis of the FY 2016 OMNIBUS APPROPRIATIONS BILL and Implications for Social and Behavioral Science Research
For the NSF Division of Mathematical Sciences the FY13, FY14, and FY15 Request numbers are
|| FY16 request
|| $219.0 M
Updates (and sources):
- 2/2/15: President's budget release: ScienceInsider; NIH FY16 budget slides, NIH FY16 Congressional Justification; NSF FY16 budget request tri-fold
- 2/3/15: DMS details
- 5/13/15: House Draft CJS Bill Press Release
- 6/10/15: Senate CJS press release
- 6/17/15: NIH level from ScienceInsider
- 10/14/15: AHRQ levels obtained from Senate LHHS committee report
- 12/16/15: NSF updated from omnibus conference report part B
- 1216/15: NIH and AHRQ updated from omnibus part H
- FY15 Budgets for NIH, NSF, Federal Statistical Agencies Finalized, Amstat News, February 2015.
- FY15 NSF and NIH Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- NIH, NSF, Statistical Agencies Receive Final FY14 Budgets, Amstat News, February 2014
- FY14 Statistical Agency Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY14 NSF and NIH Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY14 Budget Request for NIH, NSF, and Statistical Agencies, Amstat News, June 2013.
- Congress Finalizes FY13 Budgets, Amstat News, June 2013
- FY14 NSF and NIH Budget Request, ASA Community Blog Entry
- FY14 Statistical Agencies Budget Request, an ASA Community blog entry
- Sequestration Impacts on NSF, NIH and Statistical Agencies, ASA Community Blog Entry
- FY13 NSF and NIH Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY13 Statistical Agency Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY13 Budget Request: Flat Funding to Significant Increases for NIH, NSF, Statistical Agencies, Amstat News, April 2012
- FY13 Statistical Agency Budget Request, an ASA Community blog entry
- Table tracking the FY12 NSF and NIH budget developments at Congress Continues Work on FY12 Budget: Senate cuts NSF 2.4% and Census by 8%, an ASA Community blog entry
- 2012 Budget Request for NSF and NIH, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY 2012 Federal Budget Request (NSF, NIH), an Amstat News piece by Keith Crank
See other ASA Science Policy blog entries. For ASA science policy updates, follow @ASA_SciPol on Twitter.