The FY15 NIH request proposes $100 million for BRAIN initiative (increase of $60 million) and $88 million for Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) initiative (increase of $33 million).
The FY15 NSF initiatives include (according to the NSF FY15 Budget Request Brochure):
• Cognitive Science and Neuroscience: $29 million
• Cyberinfrastructure Framework for 21st Century Science, Engineering, and Education (CIF21):
• Science, Engineering, and Education for Sustainability (SEES): $139 million
• Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace (SaTC): $100 million
with other FY15 highlights including
• Clean Energy: $362 million
• Research at the Interface of Biological, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, and Engineering (BioMaPS): $29 million
• NSF Innovation Corps (I-Corps): $25 million
• Graduate Research Fellowships (GRF): $333 million
• Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (IUSE): $118 million
• NSF Research Traineeships (NRT): $58 million
For the NSF Division of Mathematical Sciences the FY13, FY14, and FY15 Request numbers are
|| FY15 request
|| $219.0 M
For reaction and analysis on the FY15 Budget Request, see these entries:
Updates (and sources):
- 2015 Science Budget Plan Getting Lackluster Reception, David Malakoff, ScienceInsider, 3/4/14.
- Obama seeks a $5B boost for science, Lauren Morello, Jessica Morrison, Sara Reardon, Jeff Tollefson & Alexandra Witze, Nature, 3/5/14.
- Major U.S. Science Agencies Face Flat Prospects, David Malakoff, ScienceInsider, 3/4/14.
- The Future Is Flat in White House's 2015 Spending Request, David Malakoff, ScienceInsider, 3/4/14.
- See House Science Committee Chairman Smith Statement on President’s Science Budget, 3/26 Hearing of House Science Committee.
- OSTP Director Holdren Appears Before House Science Committee, March 26, American Institute of Physics "FYI: The AIP Bulletin of Science Policy News."
- Good Hearing Before House Appropriators on FY 2015 NSF Budget Request, March 27, American Institute of Physics "FYI: The AIP Bulletin of Science Policy News."
- 12/914 "CRomnibus" bill released. Division B (for NSF); Division G (for NIH)
- 6/10/14: Senate LHHS bill summary
- 6/3/14: Senate CJS bill summary
- 5/30: House approves CJS bill.
- 5/8: CJS bill marked up in full committee. NSF offset by $5 million for salmon recovery in Herrera-Beutler amendment
- 4/29/14: Draft House CJS Bill press release
- 3/4/14: NSF FY15 request summary; FY15 HHS request summary; presentation of Acting Director Marrett on 3/4/14 at AAAS.
- NIH, NSF, Statistical Agencies Receive Final FY14 Budgets, Amstat News, February 2014
- FY14 Statistical Agency Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY14 NSF and NIH Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY14 Budget Request for NIH, NSF, and Statistical Agencies, Amstat News, June 2013.
- Congress Finalizes FY13 Budgets, Amstat News, June 2013
- FY14 NSF and NIH Budget Request, ASA Community Blog Entry
- FY14 Statistical Agencies Budget Request, an ASA Community blog entry
- Sequestration Impacts on NSF, NIH and Statistical Agencies, ASA Community Blog Entry
- FY13 NSF and NIH Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY13 Statistical Agency Budget Developments, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY13 Budget Request: Flat Funding to Significant Increases for NIH, NSF, Statistical Agencies, Amstat News, April 2012
- FY13 Statistical Agency Budget Request, an ASA Community blog entry
- Table tracking the FY12 NSF and NIH budget developments at Congress Continues Work on FY12 Budget: Senate cuts NSF 2.4% and Census by 8%, an ASA Community blog entry
- 2012 Budget Request for NSF and NIH, an ASA Community blog entry
- FY 2012 Federal Budget Request (NSF, NIH), an Amstat News piece by Keith Crank
See other ASA Science Policy blog entries. For ASA science policy updates, follow @ASA_SciPol on Twitter.