University of Colorado
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Biostatistics and Informatics
Colorado Biostatistics Consortium
NATURE OF WORK
This position is in the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics in a growing group of Masters and Doctoral collaborative and consulting biostatisticians. The collaborative work for this position is split between the Colorado Biostatistics Consortium and a major collaborative research group. The Colorado Biostatistics Consortium (CBC) is the consulting unit in the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics (DBI) in the Colorado School of Public Health. The collaborative research group's major research focus is on critical illness and the role of the microbiome. They also investigate other 'omics data to better understand critical illness.
This position will join 9 other faculty in the CBC and over two-dozen faculty and research personnel in the Department of Biostatistics. The faculty and staff in the CBC interact and collaborate with health researchers on their basic and clinical science research projects. The collaborative research group is comprised of other biostatisticians, epidemiologists and clinical research scientists.
A research instructor is expected to provide high-level, professional and scientifically rigorous data management and analytic support to biomedical researchers at CU Anschutz. The research instructor in this position will collaborate with investigators on data management and integration of 'omics and microbiome data along with the analytical aspects of the research process, including: design of new studies (sample size and analysis planning), complex programming, analysis implementation and data visualization, and dissemination of results. This individual is expected to co-author abstracts, oral and poster presentations, and scientific manuscripts. Preference will be given to those with experience with 'omics data management, pre-processing, and analysis and those with strong data management/integration and programming skills.
Biostatistics, Epidemiology, data management
The Research Instructor position is supervised directly by the Director of the Colorado Biostatistics Consortium and indirectly by the lead biostatistician of the collaborative group.
This position can have supervisory responsibilities with PRAs, or graduate research assistants.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
The Research Instructor will work independently with investigators spanning the spectrum of biomedical and public health research on an academic health sciences campus. Work will be divided between complex data management and integration of large 'omics data and design, analysis, visualization and manuscript preparation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of basic statistical principles relevant in medical research
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems and apply quantitative and qualitative analytical approaches.
- Strong programming skills in a common statistical software package (such as SAS, R, S-Plus, and/or SPSS)
- Additional experience with management of large databases and the ability to extract data from SQL databases within SAS
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects, managing own work load, self-directed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with a variety of biomedical investigators and colleagues
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the CBC and the collaborative critical illness research group
The position requires formal training and experience in biostatistics and data management. An MS or PhD in Biostatistics or Epidemiology or related areas of graduate level training is required. At least 2 years of previous experience or training as an analytic consultant/collaborator is required.
- Experience with 'omics data
- Experience with data management in SQL or equivalent
- Evidence of strong programming skills
- 2+ years of research experience
- Experience serving as a biostatistician or data analyst on multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead the analytic elements of multiple clinical projects simultaneously
- Or Equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 06250
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21419 - CSPH-Bio Info General Ops
: Aug 3, 2016
Posting Contact Name: Brandie Wagner, PhD
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org