ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Using statistics to combat terrorism?

Posted 09-07-2017 04:47
    Dear ASA Members,

Yesterday in Lagos, Nigeria I gave a lecture at the 1st International Statistical Conference of the Nigerian Statistical Association titled, "The Extraordinary Impact of Statistical Collaboration."

After the talk I got several questions, two of which were similar, and I'm wondering if any ASA members have better answers. For background, part of my talk introduced the LISA 2020 Program to create a network of 20 statistical collaboration laboratories in developing countries to train students to apply statistics to solve real problems; serve as infrastructure and statistical support for research, business, and policy to solve local problems; and teach short courses and workshops to improve statistical skills and literacy widely.

One guy asked, "What can LISA 2020 do or statistics do in Northern Nigeria against Boko Haram?"
    A woman asked, "I work with victims of child abuse and child trafficking. How can statistical collaboration help with that?"

I gave a general answer that "knowledge is power" (purposefully counter to Boko Haram's motto about Western education being a sin) and that statistics is "the science of extracting useful knowledge from data." And then I reiterated one of the points in my talk that a statistician with deep knowledge in statistical theory and applications and wide breadth (referencing the T-shaped student) with the ability to communication and collaborate with a variety of domain experts can have great impact.

I said that I was no expert in terrorism and that few statisticians probably were, but by collaborating with a social worker or a terrorism expert or a military general to understand their science and policy problems, the collaborative statistician could help devise a plan to collect and/or analyze data to extract useful information, thereby gaining powerful knowledge to combat Boko Haram child abductors.

My answer seemed to satisfy the audience, but I wonder if anyone out there has any real answers?

------------------------------
    Eric Vance
    University of Colorado Boulder
    Associate Professor and Director of LISA
    Boulder CO, United States

• 2.  RE: Using statistics to combat terrorism?

Posted 09-08-2017 09:13

I don't have a direct answer either, but I know that some of the folks who are now or previously were active with the Committee on Scientific Freedom and Human Rights have written and published (books too) about using statistics to advance human rights, which is clearly a related topic.

I'm copying committee chair Robin Meija, who may be able to point you to resources, if there aren't already a dozen replies with specifics!

I'm also including your actual email address (Eric Vance) since I'm not sure if Robin can see it from the community email.

Ed

• 3.  RE: Using statistics to combat terrorism?

Posted 09-08-2017 10:14
    Crisis mapping

satellite imaging (Digital Globe)

Develop a Death Index to monitor trends

Drones are coming in the vogue throughout africa

The UN High commission on refugees has a system to statistically monitor. The US Refugee group is also very good.

Eric Noji, M.D. who retired from head of disasters at CDC is an important contact

The relief agencies have some statistics, but they tend not to be very accurated

THs US Military also has excellent statistics, but I am not sure how much access there would be

Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com
    724 934 9023

• 4.  RE: Using statistics to combat terrorism?

Posted 09-08-2017 11:14
    Perhaps someone with expertise in games theory might be able to help them even more.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 5.  RE: Using statistics to combat terrorism?

Posted 09-08-2017 15:04
    In short, we are trying to find repeating patterns or characteristics or places of these attackers. For example, Boko Haram attack Christians in a certain part of the country significantly often than other religious group of people in that area. In the area, they attack Christian girl schools to kidnap more than boy school.   Then, if it is reported, they would do something about it; where they should protect more than other parts.

Gideon Bahn
    Biostatistician at Hines VA Hospital
    Research Assistant Professor at Loyola University Chicago

• 6.  RE: Using statistics to combat terrorism?

Posted 09-11-2017 07:13
    It happens that statistics is at the core of government counter-terror efforts. The data and methods are necessarily classified, but even "Stat 101" methods find their use. For an unclassified (but heavily redacted) account of a stats professor's sabbatical contribution to the effort, Google "Working on the Dark Side of the Moon: Life Inside the National Security Agency".

Thomas Reed Willemain