ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

"What is your favorite confidence interval?"

• 1.  "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-19-2017 22:51
    Recently I was interviewing for a job at a marketing firm, and one of the questions I was asked was, “What is your favorite confidence interval?”

The interviewer was a Human Resources person who was just reading a list of questions given to her by the hiring manager, so she was not able to provide clarification.

I was dumbfounded for a moment—how does one answer such a question? “My favorite confidence interval is (-3.623, 5.783)”?

Was I supposed to come down in favor of a 95% interval vs. 90% or 99%?

I replied by talking about how the width of the confidence interval varies with the level of certainty desired, and it really depends on what the application is.

How would you answer such a question?

BTW, I did not get the job.

Steve Smela

• 2.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 01:08

Perhaps the question had to do with what kind of procedure would you use to construct a confidence interval in a given situation. Once you step outside of situations where exact confidence interval procedures exist (e.g., for parameters, quantiles, and tail probabilities for a normal or lognormal distribution with complete data), one has to use approximate confidence methods. In mathematical statistics courses, we learn that the Wald, score, and likelihood ratio statistics all have the same chi-square limiting distribution and all of these statistics can be inverted to provide approximate confidence intervals. I recall having the impression that then it did not make much difference which of these three procedures was used to construct a confidence interval. A few years later, when digging into a particular application, I realized that the differences among these interval-procedure methods could be huge and that the score and likelihood-based procedures were, generally, much more trustworthy. In addition to these classical procedures, we also have a variety of bootstrap and objective Bayesian procedures (i.e., Bayesian procedures using diffuse prior information) that are also competitive. For more information on this topic, I can immodestly recommend the recently released Second Edition of Statistical Intervals, published by John Wiley and Sons. Find details at http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471687170.html

Bill Meeker

------------------------------
    William Meeker
    Distinguished Professor of Statistics
    Iowa State University
    Ames, Iowa

• 3.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 02:52
    Stephen -

That sounds familiar: people giving you direction who are clueless. That is often the problem with any kind of organization ... say the captains of industry who did not listen to Deming, or ... say ... the White House ... and all other levels are often susceptible, because those who end up in charge often get there for all the wrong reasons. 

Chalk it up to "Did you really want to work there?" as it might have been worse than 'average.'  Using an HR person to read questions like that does not say much for the 'organization.' 

BTW, perhaps the most blatantly silly thing i was once told by a "superior" was that "I don't care about variance, I'm an economist."  I was speechless.  (A rare state for me.)  But there was another instance where I heard "management" announce that we would collect no more monthly data of a certain category, but we would estimate it.  (From what?)  I tried to reason about it, and was told, "You'll think of something." 

Cheers - Jim 

• 4.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 07:55
    Edited by Tim Keyes 05-22-2017 09:31
    My favorite is the time between buying a new car and the first payment.  Kidding aside, I believe HR may have simply wanted to see what reaction you'd have - e.g., to ask for clarification, context, etc.  Or, as others have suggested, it was a misguided question.  Either way, HR would have learned something about you, and you about them.  I was once asked what my favorite theory is.  I answered, "Gödel's".

• 5.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 08:52
    Good morning Stephen.

My first thought was those 90%, 95%, 99% Confidence Interval as the answer to the interview question.  

--
    David Masengesho
    Graduate Student, MS in Statistics 
    Gradaute Teaching Assistant

Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
    Cell: +1 (213) 408 7971

• 6.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 09:21
    Given a single observation X from a Normal(mu,sigma^2) distribution, with both parameters unknown, it is possible to construct a valid finite confidence interval for sigma^2.

This surprising confidence interval--which I found in a Russian probability competition--would have to be my favorite.

Jonathan Christensen

• 7.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 09:24
    Yes, I can see being dumbfounded by such a question. Having the
    advantage of sitting comfortably in my office with time to think it
    seems that, if the job is going to be worthwhile, the employers might
    respond well to something like:
    My favorite CI depends on the context. If I have reason to believe the
    data are independently generated, and I have checked that they roughly
    follow a Gaussian distribution, I like standard t-distribution CIs.
    Otherwise, I am happy to use appropriate transformations or bootstrapped
    choices. In those situations where it make sense to do a Bayesian
    analysis, I prefer credible intervals.
    Note e.g. the last phrasing leaves your opportunities wide open. If
    they take a "Bayes only" viewpoint, then Cred Ints always make sense, so
    they can hire you. Similarly if they fall into the "never Bayes" they
    can also comfortably hire you, because for them they never make sense.
    Best,
    Steve

• 8.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 09:42
    My favorite confidence interval is definitely the Fieller interval for the ratio of two unknown means ...when the data are assumed to be normally distributed. Numerous researchers who have studied the mathematics involved with this interval find its properties somewhat unsatisfactory or even nonsensical. But the interval also corresponds to a "bow-tie" shaped confidence region on the 2-dimensional Euclidean plane, so its GEOMETRY is quite simple and makes great common sense.

Statisticians need to look more at pictures/graphics/visualizations of their data and less at EQUATIONS.

Bob Obenchain
    Principal Consultant, Risk Benefit Statistics

• 9.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 10:13
    How about the 100% confidence interval ranging between, and including, +/- infinity? One can never be wrong!

Nestor Rohowsky
    President and Principal Consultant
    Integrated Data Consultation Services, Inc.

• 10.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 12:08
    My current favorite CI is the BC (bias corrected) bootstrap CI, so that's where my mind went when I saw the question. These questions are typically about how you reason through them and not so much about the actual answer.

Elizabeth Grandfield

• 11.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-22-2017 12:11
    A long long time ago, I made some minor edits to the binomial proportion
    confidence interval page at Wikipedia. So I would have said something
    like the Clopper-Pearson interval or the Wilson score interval and then
    explained how you compute it and why it is better than the normal
    approximation. But you could have said that asking which is your
    favorite confidence interval is like asking which is your favorite child
    (for someone with more than one child, of course).

You could have also talked about a data analysis that you are very proud
    of and the confidence interval(s) that you calculated as part of that
    data analysis.

Or you could have answered a different question, like "I don't have a
    favorite confidence interval" but I do have a favorite
    test/model/package/... Or start talking about the favorite part of your
    dissertation or your favorite class in college.

I'll be honest, though, and admit that if I was blindsided like you were
    with a weird question like that, I probably would end up doing what you
    did. It's hard to think on your feet.

Steve Simon, blog.pmean.com

• 12.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-23-2017 07:32
    95% conservative confidence interval for proportions (p+/- 1/Sqrt(n)) Simple and often (but not always) useful.

Kenneth Ganning

• 13.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-23-2017 08:29
    I'm in a photography forum and the usual answer to: What is your favorite camera? Is: The one you have with you (including an iPhone) when an interesting opportunity arises. So, my answer for a CI is the one I need at the time. I'll be reporting a CI for an observed proportion of 0 so Bayesian CIs are the most interesting right now.

Chauncey Dayton

• 14.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-24-2017 06:51
    My own (with Yan Liu).  "Speeding up the asymptotics when constructing one-sided coverage intervals with survey data," (Kott and Liu, Metron, 2010).  We use the term "coverage interval" rather than "confidence interval" because it covers on average rather than all the time like a Clopper-Pearson interval for a proportion.

Phillip Kott
    RTI International

• 15.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-30-2017 13:00
    My favorite statistical interval is that calculable interval that is maximally responsive to the problem at hand--as Bill Meeker, Luis Escobar and I try to say in the new edition of Statistical Intervals: A Guide for Practitioners and Researchers

Gerald Hahn

• 16.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-24-2017 08:46

What is especially good related to the interval

phat +/- 1 / sqrt(n)

is something useful for the interested general newspaper reader, namely that for a 95 percent interval estimate we have, approximately,

E = 1 / sqrt(n)

and so such a person could easily "confirm" on a calculator the margin of sampling error given in an article quite closely as the sample size is typically given in the article too. (Of course we are assuming the point estimate is not too different from one-half.)

-----------------------------------
    David Bernklau
    (David Bee on Internet)
    -----------------------------------

• 17.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-23-2017 09:51
    Maybe, they were testing you!
    In their minds: "Is he a real person or is he a statistician?" 
    They may have expected an answer as this: I enjoy the outdoors, do some photography, play golf, and YES, i adore the 90% confidence interval for the difference of two population means when the underlying populatiuon variances are assumed to be known!

Raid Amin
    Professor
    University of West Florida

• 18.  RE: "What is your favorite confidence interval?"

Posted 05-23-2017 10:37
    I was asked a different one by a hiring manager:  "What's your favorite baseball team?"  I didn't think quickly and the Brooklyn Dodgers bubbled out of my mouth.  He followed up with "You're not that old, are you?"  Fortunately, I didn't really want to experience a whole lot of Chicago winters and got a better job elsewhere.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org