• 1.  An odd question...

Posted 05-16-2017 03:45
    Hello folks,

This is going to be an odd question: In your opinion, which animal best
    represents correlation, and why?

A little background: I volunteer at a Girl Scout camp, where we use
    "camp names" (aliases), and mine is Rho, in honor of correlation/my
    career. I need to figure out an animal that represents my name, and I
    thought I would ask you folks for some help. Thank you in advance!

Best wishes,
    Jana Asher

--
    Jana Asher

• 2.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-16-2017 09:19
    I would think an animal that has an unexpected feature/skill or lack of one. Like a flightless bird, or something like that.

• 3.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-17-2017 09:08
    I like the beaver. They're cute, they play, and they're amazing engineers. MIT has them as their mascot for a reason.
    This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 4.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-17-2017 02:44
    竜   "ryuu "  which is a bit slurred version of "rho"   is DRAGON  in Japanese

------------------------------
    Charles Smith
    North Carolina State Univ.

• 5.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-17-2017 05:31
    Well, there are some birds, like the albatross, that mirror each others' movements when preparing to mate (https://youtu.be/RaTzxExVz5U). Albatross isn't a terrible alias.

But I think it might be more fun to go with a near-homonym, Squirrel, as in squirrelation.

-Wes

• 6.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-17-2017 08:45
    How about the Roebuck or European red deer?

Frank Murdock

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-18-2017 11:07
    How about an animal that's part of a symbiotic relationship? Animals pairs that are part of symbiotic relationships could be considered correlated with one another. (e.g. oxpecker and hippo, gobi fish and snapping shrimp, lots of others).

Or, perhaps a canary, as in canary in the coal mine, where the animal's death is correlated with dangerous gases.

Fun question!

Carrie Tillotson
    Biostatistician
    OCHIN, Inc.

• 8.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-19-2017 09:01

Wow, this question is tough and cool at the same time. I think anything will be a stretch, but how about this?

A raccoon has been seen at the Pearson International Airport. It was captured and safely released last week. (Good timing!)

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/05/08/pearson-airport-raccoon-back-in-his-natural-habitat.html

They call it the Pearson Raccoon. I suppose that a raccoon named Pearson would seem like a good fit for a group named Rho? What do you think? :-)

Chuck Kincaid
    Senior Engagement Director
    Business Intelligence and Analytics

Experis
    5220 Lovers Lane
    Portage, MI 49002

T:

+1 269 553-5140

F:

+1 269 553-5101

C:

+1 269 998-9008

chuck.kincaid@experis.com
    www.experis.us/analytics

35th anniversary logo_2               sas_analytics_competency

Original Message------

How about an animal that's part of a symbiotic relationship? Animals pairs that are part of symbiotic relationships could be considered correlated with one another. (e.g. oxpecker and hippo, gobi fish and snapping shrimp, lots of others).

Or, perhaps a canary, as in canary in the coal mine, where the animal's death is correlated with dangerous gases.

Fun question!

Carrie Tillotson
    Biostatistician
    OCHIN, Inc.

• 9.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-22-2017 10:18
    Edited by Glen Colopy 05-22-2017 10:18
    Don't forget a sparrow!

Or a slug, because it's hermaph-rho-ditic.

Or a rove beetle.

Glen Wright Colopy
    DPhil Student
    University of Oxford

• 10.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-22-2017 10:23
    How about the "birds and the bees"? Parents' discussions with their pubescent children about the "birds and the bees" is correlated to their childrens' natural curiosity about interpersonal relationships brought on by their emerging hormones.

Nestor Rohowsky
    President and Principal Consultant
    Integrated Data Consultation Services, Inc.

• 11.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-23-2017 14:51

Field mouse.

In Darwin's observation, the number of cats and the number of bumble bees are correlated due to the number of field mice.  If there is no field mice, the cat and the bee are not correlated.

In Origin Of Species, Darwin says:

"From experiments which I have tried, I have found that the visits of bees, if not indispensable, are at least highly beneficial to the fertilisation of our clovers: but bumble bees alone visit the common red clover (Trifolium pratense), as other bees cannot reach the nectar. Hence, I have very little doubt that if the whole genus of bumble bees became extinct or, very rare in England, the heartsease (viola tricolour) and red clover would become rare or, wholly disappear. The number of bumble bees in any district depends in a great degree on the number of field mice, which destroy their combs and nests; and Mr. Newman, who has long attended the habits of bumble bees, believes that "more than two thirds of them are thus destroyed all over England".

As the number of mice is largely dependent, as everyone knows, on the number of cats: Mr Newman says, "Near villages and small towns I have found the nests of bumble bees more numerous than elsewhere, which I attribute to the number of cats that destroy the mice".

Hence it is quite credible that the presence of a feline animal in large numbers in a district might determine, through the intervention first of field mice and then bees, the frequency of certain flowers in that district!"

Original Message------

How about the "birds and the bees"? Parents' discussions with their pubescent children about the "birds and the bees" is correlated to their childrens' natural curiosity about interpersonal relationships brought on by their emerging hormones.

Nestor Rohowsky
    President and Principal Consultant
    Integrated Data Consultation Services, Inc.

• 12.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-23-2017 13:55
    Okay, this question is too good, I have to try, too.

What about a squid, cuttlefish, or octopus? Some of them change color 'in correlation' with their surroundings!

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 13.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-24-2017 08:15
    This exploits homophones Rho and Roe

Roe deer - Wikipedia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/roe_deer_hackersafe]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_deer
    The European roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), also known as the western roe deer,
    chevreuil, or simply roe deer, is an Eurasian species of deer. The male of the species
    is sometimes referred to as a roebuck. The roe deer is relatively small, reddish and
    grey-brown, and well-adapted to cold environments.

Elgin S. Perry, Ph.D.
    Statistics Consultant
    377 Resolutions Rd.
    Colonial Beach, Va. 22443
    ph. 410.610.1473

• 14.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-25-2017 08:24
    The deer would work - it's called out specifically in the Sound of Music, no?

Rho, a deer, a female deer,
    Ray, a drop of golden sun
    etc.

Michael Carniello
    Director Statistical Programming
    Astellas Pharma Global Development
    (SSPA Chair 2017)

• 15.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-25-2017 14:10
    Inquiring minds want to know... what animal did you pick??
    although these ideas are all great... and with the last Rho, roe... I'm tempted to add a suggestion
    a Jerboa?
    (Rho, Rho, Rho jerboa(t)?)
    also, a very cute Rho-dent?

Mary Kwasny
    Associate Professor

• 16.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-24-2017 22:53

Jana,

Two correlations from ecology, courtesy of my daughter the science teacher:

• Wolf-deer population on the Kaibad Plateau near the Grand Canyon:  When the government put a bounty on wolves, the wolf population declined dramatically and the deer population increased to the point that millions of deer starved to death.  When wolves and other predator species were re-introduced into the area, the deer population came back into balance.
    • The black-footed ferret:  Found, for example, in Texas and Oklahoma, the black-footed ferret eats a monotonous diet of prairie dogs.  When ranchers killed off prairie dogs, in order to have more grazing area for their cattle, the black-footed ferret population plummeted to near extinction.  (There were only eight ferrets remaining; they  were rounded up and taken to a breeding facility, which has been working for 20+ years to re-introduce them.)

There are relationships similar to these found in every ecosystem.

Perhaps this will add to your store of possibilities.

Best, Katherine Wallman (Wellesley '65)

• 17.  RE: An odd question...

Posted 05-25-2017 10:57
    A fox because they NEVER run in a straight line! Then, qualify it by adding "sly" because a "Sly Fox" is somebody (something) that can put you in a tricky situation without you noticing. This is exactly what a correlation coefficient does when you don't look at the plot! And, perhaps, a scout leader might do this as well :)

Jim