ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  proposed new award

Posted 03-24-2022 08:02
    Dear Colleagues,
    The ASA is considering a proposal to establish an award in honor of David Cox, who passed away earlier this year. Details of the award will be announced later, after the proposal has been reviewed by the ASA Board of Directors.

The purpose of this note is to ask that you respond to me (ron@amstat.org) if you are aware of any reason why naming an award in honor of Dr. Cox would be inappropriate. The ASA is not aware of any such reason and doesn't expect there to be any, but we wanted to check in with our members.

If you have concerns about naming the award in his honor, please respond by March 31, 2022, and again, please respond to me directly via email. PLEASE don't post comments directly to ASA Connect.

Thank you.
    Ron

------------------------------
    Ron Wasserstein
    Executive Director
    The American Statistical Association
    Promoting the Practice and Profession of Statistics
    Striving to be an antiracist
    732 N. Washington St.
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    703-684-1221

• 2.  RE: proposed new award

Posted 03-27-2022 00:04
    I find this solicitation to be off-putting. It could have been framed "ASA leadership is contemplating an award in honor of the late David Cox. Please submit any feedback to me directly via e-mail by March 31," which would have avoided the inquisitorial connotation of this post. Or it could have been dispensed with entirely. I do not recall a similar posthumous vetting being conducted when an award in honor of the late Annie T. Randall was created.

Robert O'Brien
    University of Mississippi Medical Center

• 3.  RE: proposed new award

Posted 03-28-2022 09:02
    I believe that the ASA is being more cautious after the controversy around the Fisher Lecture.

Jana Asher
    2022 SRMS Program Chair
    Assistant Professor/Director of Statistics Education,
    Department of Mathematics and Statistics
    Service Learning Associate,
    Office for Community Engaged Learning

• 4.  RE: proposed new award

Posted 03-28-2022 09:31
    I'm a little mystified by Robert's taking offense at a fairly innocuous sounding communication just seeking input on a proposed award. The request is fairly straightforward, and is just giving those who wish to, to provide input on the proposal. I find this completely appropriate, and appreciate the opportunity to give such input if I so choose. Not really much here to be offended by, in my opinion. 

Stan Altan