ASA Connect

View Only

Integrating BibDesk into a web browser

• 1.  Integrating BibDesk into a web browser

Posted 09-01-2017 16:07
    Many statisticians use BibTeX, so I hope that it's okay that I'm asking this question here about a tool that I use extensively in my work.  

I used to have a web browser extension to automatically import citations into BibDesk from my web browser.  (BibDesk is a free program for maintaining BibTeX libraries for compiling reference lists.)  I had an icon on the top of my web browser; by clicking that icon, I could automatically import the citation that I was viewing in my web browser: e.g., pubmed, a journal webpage, online bookstores, or working papers.  The extension (Zot2Bib for Firefox) was recently disabled with a Firefox upgrade.  The author of the extension is looking into the issue, but he thinks it may not be a fixable problem.  

I'm reluctant to use an old Firefox version to avoid being vulnerable to security problems.  The kludges to force Firefox to accept the old extension made the browser unusable.  BibDesk has the ability to search pubmed on its own, but it's clunky to use.  

Does anyone know of a web browser extension --- for any web browser --- that will import citations directly from web pages into BibDesk (or a similar BibTeX program)?  I had no idea how much I depended on this browser extension in my research!

------------------------------
    Janet Rosenbaum, Ph.D.
    Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
    School of Public Health, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
    ------------------------------