ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

• 1.  Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-10-2021 09:13

I have a question for the ASA community.

What do you think of speed sessions? They have been growing in prominence at JSM to the point where they are the only way a contributed abstract can get an oral presentation.

I have found them helpful. Unlike both longer presentations and poster, which let you linger at leasure and ask questions to the author, they simply move too fast to really communicate much. 

In addition, I think they go too far in priveleging insiders over outsiders. While this is if course inevitable, the only way a topic can get an oral presentation of more than 5 minutes) is if it was organized as part of a session (invited or topic-contributed).

Finally, it caters to society's tendency to short attention spans, thinking in bullet points, and making snap judgments which inevitably tend to reinforce existing thinking, not to mention existing players and, of course, existing prejudices. As a profession, shouldn't we be resisting that tendency, training people to look at things carefully,  thinking in greater depth, being more open to new people and new ideas? 

Perhaps most contributed abstracts don't merit much in the way of presentation time. Even there, I think posters where authors get a slot of several hours to stand by their poster and take questions from passers-by are more helpful than speed sessions.

But I would suggest that our profession's largest North American conference should have some room, some  slots, reserved for abstracts that might come in from nowhere but merit full presentation and discussion.

I understand that we want to encourage researchers to collaborate and the session approach tends to do that. And of course any profession is inevitably going to give insiders an edge. 

But I think there should be slots that get a substantial amount of presentation time open to meritorious contributed abstracts. And I think the preferred presentation route for sessions not getting a substantial live presentation time should be the poster, not the speed session. Posters could, of course be done in a different format, perhaps as recorded presentations, slides, or videos. But they should retain two critical features that distinguish them from speed sessions: (1) The ability for attendees to peruse abstracts and focus on the ones of interest to them (rather than sitting through a whirl of short presentations presented sequentially), and (2) A substantial, scheduled period where a live author is available to take questions from passersby, whether in person or virtually. 

What do you think?

------------------------------
    Jonathan Siegel
    Director Clinical Statistics

• 2.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-11-2021 07:38
    "I have found them helpful".

Is there a "not" missing here?

Giles Warrack
    [Retired]
    NC A&T State University

• 3.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-12-2021 08:03
    It does seem like the original posting by Jonathan Siegel should have contained the words "not helpful" in place of "helpful". That being said, I agree with everything in his posting AFTER "I have found them helpful."

Paul Louisell
    Retired

Paul Louisell
    Senior Statistician
    Quinstreet, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-12-2021 09:33
    Great comments Jonathan. I believe having all the contributed sessions as speed sessions was an accommodation for the online nature of this year's JSM due to the pandemic. I don't believe it was decided that this would happen in the future. Ideally we are gaining great insights this year that will make JSM 2022 even better than previous years. There are both advantages and disadvantages that the online approach provides that future organizers will need to consider...How do we incorporate a virtual component to next year's in person JSM to increase attendance access and participation? As you mentioned, the speed session format did not provide time for the audience to verbally ask questions. Though some questions were asked using the chat feature. But again, the speed session was only the preview. That did not enable public discussions that might take place after viewing the full 15-minute presentation. Lots of good questions and opportunities for improvement. I have found JSM to be very enjoyable and accessible this year. I look forward to seeing how they make JSM 2022 even better!

Best,
    Jamie

Jamis Perrett
    Bayer US- Crop Science

• 5.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-12-2021 16:24
    Yes, there will always be cliques, and people who think, often incorrectly, that they know more off the top of their heads than someone who has actually investigated a topic.  So that is one reason why I ended up doing probably a lot more poster sessions than anything else.  That's OK (sort of).  Just get a paper out there and let it be judged on its own merits. 

James Knaub (Jim)
    Retired Lead Mathematical Statistician

• 6.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-12-2021 16:35
    I did a speed session the first year JSM had them, and there was a separate poster session part also.  Do speed sessions no longer have the additional poster session part?  If so, was that just because the conference was virtual?

James Knaub (Jim)
    Retired Lead Mathematical Statistician

• 7.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-13-2021 11:57
    @James Knaub: Correct. On March 12, 2021 the JSM 2021 program committee was informed that the contributed sessions would all be speed sessions with video recording, but that posters would be an option if there were an in-person component to JSM 2021. This was prior to the decision being made that JSM 2021 would be entirely virtual.​ As there was no in-person component to JSM 2021, we did not have posters as an option. I think that was the right approach and facilitated the transition of JSM 2021 to a purely virtual conference. Hopefully 2022 will allow for JSM to be in person. I also hope that there are lessons learned from the virtual conference that will enrich the JSM 2022 experience and make it accessible in some way to those who may not be able to attend in person.

Jamis Perrett
    Bayer US- Crop Science

• 8.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-12-2021 10:00
    If anyone from the community has suggestions for improving future JSM conferences, please share your suggestions: https://ww2.amstat.org/committees/commdetails.cfm?txtComm=SBJORG22. I am sure that organizers would love to have and work with those great suggestions.

Another great way to have impact is to get involved with one of the many ASA committees: https://ww2.amstat.org/committees/nominations/nominationsform.cfm

The life and vibrancy of a community is greatly dependent upon the passion and involvement of its members.

Let's continue to make ASA a great community!

Jamis Perrett
    Bayer US- Crop Science

• 9.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-13-2021 07:26
    I am a big fan of speed sessions, but they need to be joined with a poster.  The point is the following.  The purpose of a 15-minute contributed talk is to present an ADVERTISEMENT for the author's research and (we used to hope) Proceedings paper.  Sadly, too many folks try to present an entire paper in 15 minutes.  The thinking was, if we reduced it to four minutes,  no one would try to present a paper in four minutes.  That worked well enough when combined with an  electronic "poster" after.  It was a dismal failure this year without the poster counterpart.  Worse, many presenters treated their 15-minute versions available in the "file" tab as if they were full papers.

Phillip Kott
    RTI International

• 10.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-16-2021 09:25

I agree it's always good to air the assumptions on which decisions are based.

I think the assumption that the talk is just an advertisement for a paper in the Proceedings is not valid. The publication in the Proceedings, if any, is generally just a rendering of the talk in paragraph form. If there's a paper underlying the talk that's more substantial than that, it gets published in a peer-reviewed journal, not the conference journal. If people are like me, they listen to the talks and read peer-reviewed journals. They don't generally read conference proceedings. 

i think the basic and very understandable reason is that people want peer-reviewed journal publication creeits. Publishing something that's a lot more effort than their talk in a non-peer-reviewed journal is basically a waste of their time. 

I would suggest two courses of action based on this:

1. If you want to encorage people to submit a paper and get more participant buy-in into the model that the talk just an advertisement for the paper, publish peer-reviewed conference papers. Many conferences have an arrangement with a journal by which it publishes a special conference edition of the journal for conference talk papers that pass peer review. The BIOP conference does this. So do major clinical conferences in the biomedical field. Why not have JSM do this? Why not have a special JSM issue (or volume) of JASA that contains papers from JSM conference presentations? Presenters would submit their papers to JSM instead of the proceedings and they would then undergo peer review. I would suggest either abolishing the Proceedings and replacing them with this type of JASA special edition, or continuing the Proceedings and have them contain all papers submitted to JASA for the special edition, including rejected ones. If the nature and/or quality of JSM papers is different from what JASA wants to focus on, perhaps JSM could work with another journal or even develop its own peer-reviewed journal. 

2. Assume the talk is the paper, and people won't be willing to spend a lot of time on something that is neither oresented af a conference nor published in a peer-reviewed journal. In this case, abolish speed sessions. Give oral presentations enough time to actually present a paper. Use poster format for presentations not meriting that much time. If all oral presentations got 20 or even 30 minutes, there might need to be more parallel sessions and more meeting space, and the conference fees would have to go up to pay for it, but the basic JSM format wouldn't need to be altered. There might also be somewhat fewer contributed papers accepted and more presentations accepted as posters. 

in either event, my personal take, just as one behavioral data point, is that when I want to see an advertisement for what the presenters have to say, I read the abstract. (The abstract is the advertisement). When I want to hear what they have to say, I go to the presentation. If I want to find out more, I look them up and read their peer-reviewed journal articles. I never read the Proceedings. 

Jonathan Siegel
    Director Clinical Statistics

• 11.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-17-2021 07:07
      |   view attached
    Jonathan's first point about peer reviewed publication of conference papers in major clinical conferences has an interesting expansion to go beyond JASA so that broader subject matter is included. The biomedical conferences I attend have the exciting option of publication in multiple major journals on day of presentation of the talk. I am a rapid reviewer for submissions to Journal of Clinical Oncology manuscripts that may be accepted for this high profiled goal.

The process is that each journal has an advertized deadline for conference manuscript submissions which permits rapid review, small modifications, and preparations for publication for the few papers which meet the journal's publication level. The conferences advertize the presentations that have joint presentation/publication in daily communication to attendees. The process adds anticipation to profiled talks. Manuscripts which are not ready for rapid publication revert to standard peer-reviewed timelines, or may be rejected as inapproriate for the journal they were submitted to.

Judy-Anne Chapman, P.Stat., PStat (ASA)
    Senior Biostatistician,
    Canadian Cancer Trials Group,
    Queen's University (retired)

• 12.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-17-2021 07:33
    ASA policy has always been that any member who wants to present a paper at JSM can do so, so long as there is some proof that an actual paper is forthcoming (at one time, a few members would just wing it).   I doubt the membership at large would want to lose that privilege.   That is the main reason why contributed talks are being reduced from 15 to 5 minutes.  I erred before when I wrote that the hope was that a PROCEEDINGS paper was forthcoming because not all sections had PROCEEDINGS.

Phillip Kott
    RTI International

• 13.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-16-2021 10:23
    Hi,

Speed presentation is o.k., but we may have to think on another point.  The registration (member) fee was $350/-  I feel one minute presentation costing  almost $100 is too much.  If someone wants to do speed presentation, the registration fee should be only $50 or $40.  It is my opinion only.

Regards, 

Sarjinder

[Sarjinder] [Singh]
    [Professor]
    [Texas A&M University-Kingsville]

• 14.  RE: Speed sessions vs. longer presentations vs. posters

Posted 08-17-2021 09:52
    Dear ASA Community,

There are two submissions for a speed talk: (1) a live "brain-teaser" intro; (2) a recorded video in greater details.

However, the latter needs to be linked automatically with each talk, so that the audience can easily access both.

Otherwise, junior presenters may tend to include many technical details into the live portion, making it jam-packed. 

In addition, some speed session presenters did not participate in the live sessions, and the schedule may be altered. 

Kelly H. Zou, PhD, PStat, ASA Fellow, Chair of TAIG (2021)