ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-27-2017 09:05

What book would you recommend to a master's level graduate student to initially learn about survival models?

• 2.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-30-2017 03:40
    I have always found Kleinbaum-Klein's 'Survival Analysis - a self
    learning text' an excellent reference.

I'm not aware of any edition more recent than 2012's third:
    http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781441966452

/f

--
    Federico Andreis
    Post-Doc in Statistics
    Dip. di Analisi delle Politiche e Management Pubblico
    Department of Policy Analysis and Public Management
    Universit?? Bocconi
    Via Roentgen, 1
    20136 MILANO

tel. +39 02-58363479
    federico.andreis@unibocconi.it

• 3.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-30-2017 08:50
    For a supplemental text,  "Survival Analysis Using SAS", by Paul Allison has lots of great examples.
    Survival Analysis Using SAS®: A Practical Guide, Second Edition

Brandy

------------------------------
    Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Research Associate

• 4.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-30-2017 09:50

You need to be familiar with software that has survival analysis capabilities -

SAS, SPSS, Stata, R. Kleinbaum and Klein's Survival Analysis published by

Springer is an excellent text with some good running examples of a

biomedical nature. The book has a good appendix on running survival

models in the above packages.

I have gotten a lot out of Singer and Willett's Applied

Longitudinal Data Analysis for non-biomedical examples. The data

examples are worked out with example code at

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/other/examples/alda/

Anthony J. Babinec

Co-Author, Data Analysis with IBM SPSS Statistics. 2017:Packt.

Harry V. Roberts Statistical Advocate of the Year Award Committee,

American Statistical Association

tbabinec@sbcglobal.net

• 5.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-30-2017 13:09
    In both teaching, research, and practice I found the following book the most suited for MS/PhD level course:

Elisa T. Lee and John Wenyu Wang- Statistical Methods for Survival Data Analysis, John Wiley, New York, 4th Ed., 2013, ISBN: 978-1-118-o9502-7. Since I am retired, do not know of any newer edition.  The book has an equal mixture of theory and practice.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

• 6.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-31-2017 11:15
    A good intro/intermed level book is "Survival Analysis:  A practical approach" by M Parmar and D Machin.

Ana Nora Donaldson
    Stony Brook University

• 7.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 10-31-2017 13:04

My annotated bibliography for  MS-level class -- I used Hosmer, Lemeshow and May the first time (the UCLA site is a great companion, but there is thin coverage of important topics such as competing risks, and I flat out dislike some of the content), then Collett the second time I taught the course. (Collett covers more topics but is excessively wordy, which is very unfriendly to students who are not fully comfortable reading written English.)

The students didn't rely much on the textbook either time.  Based on the earlier responses to your message, I may give Lee and Wang a look for next time......
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applied Survival Analysis:  Regression Modeling of Time-to-Event Data (2nd Edition).
    David W. Hosmer, Stanley Lemeshow, Susanne May. Wiley, 2008.

This text isn't nearly as beloved as Hosmer & Lemeshow's book on logistic regression, but some parts are quite good and there is excellent support (SAS, Stata, SPSS code; some R) at the UCLA website: https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/other/examples/asa2/

Survival Analysis:  Techniques for Censored and Truncated Data (2nd Edition). John P. Klein and Melvin L. Moeschberger  Springer, 2003. 

A classic text, with clear explanations of selected fundamental concepts and important advanced topics. Lacks practical guidance (software code).

Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis:  Modeling Change and Event Occurrence. Judith D. Singer & John B. Willett. Oxford University Press, 2003.

Text covering both longitudinal data analysis and survival analysis. Excellent for sound, well-reasoned, well-researched advice for applied analysis. Companion website http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/examples/alda.htm

Modeling Survival Data:  Extending the Cox Model. Terry M. Therneau & Patricia M. Grambsch. Springer, 2000.

Pretty rigorous for theory (including counting processes and martingales), but Therneau is responsible for the R "survival" package, so there's an emphasis on software as well (R, plus some SAS).

Survival Analysis Using SAS: A Practical Guide.   Paul D. Allison.  SAS Institute, 2010.   The title says it all! 

Brenda Kurland
    Research Associate Professor
    University of Pittsburgh

• 8.  RE: Survival Analysis Book

Posted 11-01-2017 14:44
    It appears that no one has recommended Survival Analysis:  Techniques for Censored and Truncated Data, by John P. Klein and Melvin L, Moeschberger, Springer, ISBN 978-0387953991.  I thought this was something of a bible in the field.

Jay Beder
    Professor
    University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee