ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Sexism in sports statistics

Posted 05-27-2020 15:51
    I'm not a big fan of sports statistics, but my niece is and I know that many of you are as well. I am forwarding a post from the Lindsay Gibbs blog, Power Plays, where a guest blogger, Jacob Mox, talks about the huge disparities in statistics made available for women's sports versus men's sports.

Sexism in statistics is hurting women's sports
    Powerplays remove preview
    Sexism in statistics is hurting women's sports
    Hello, and welcome to Power Plays, a no-bullshit newsletter about women in sports founded by me, Lindsay Gibbs. In today's newsletter, we're going to hear from Jacob Mox, who did a deep dive on the gender gap in sports statistics, how it's hurting women's sports, and the groups that are working hard to make a difference.
    View this on Powerplays >

------------------------------
    Stephen Simon, blog.pmean.com
    Independent Statistical Consultant
    P. Mean Consulting

• 2.  RE: Sexism in sports statistics

Posted 05-28-2020 09:19
    ​Interesting read.  Thank you for sharing.  Along the same lines as, 'the News is not what is happening; it is what is being reported'.

Philip R. Scinto
    Senior Fellow
    The Lubrizol Corporation

• 3.  RE: Sexism in sports statistics

Posted 05-28-2020 09:44
    Thanks to Stephen Simon for the post on sexism in data on women's sports. I read the blog - it was insightful - and a little disconcerting.

In addition to sexism in sports, there is "sportism". What I mean by that is that sports analytics seem to be confined to hockey, soccer, and basketball (mentioned in the blog for women). Add to that baseball and football for men.

I organized a JSM session for the virtual meeting in Philadelphia to showcase sports that aren't as well analyzed as the "Big Four*", even though there is plenty of data available on them. If you are interested in increasing diversity in sports both gender-wise and sport-wise, please attend the session.

Tuesday, August 4 from 10:00 to 11:50 AM -- a topic contributed papers session on Sports Analytics Outside the Big Four (co-sponsored with the Committee on Women in Statistics and the Committee on Applied Statisticians)

* The "Big Four" are football, basketball, baseball and hockey. Arguably, soccer should be in there, too, which makes it really "the Big Five".

Monnie McGee
    Associate Professor
    Southern Methodist University
    Dallas,TX United States