ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group Petition

Posted 07-13-2020 13:54

Dear ASA Community,

It is my pleasure to announce a proposed Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group (DIIG) of the American Statistical Association (ASA).  Following discussions from the Kafadar Diversity and Inclusion Presidential Initiative, at the Women and Statistics and Data Science Conference, and with others,  the idea for DIIG was born.  I have volunteered to lead the DIIG as interim chair.

According to the Council of Sections Charter, "an Interest Group may be chartered by a majority vote of the Council of Sections Governing Board based on the petition of at least 25 individuals, including at least one full member to serve as Chair, and a proposed charter."  Additionally, Interest Group members are not required to be full members of the ASA.

Along with the steering committee, I would like to invite you to petition the Council of Sections to form the ASA Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group.  The petition, along with a link to the Charter, can be found here.

Our plan is to submit the petition and Charter to the Council of Sections prior to their JSM meeting.  If you are interested, please sign the petition before 12pm ET on Friday, July 24, 2020.

Best,

Julia

------------------------------
    Julia Sharp
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Colorado State University

• 2.  RE: Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group Petition

Posted 07-13-2020 15:22
    Hi Julia,

Please help us understand the purpose of the proposed interest group and what the organizers hope to accomplish.

I read the petition. Please define for us the terms "justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion" as the organizers understand them. And please explain how the Statistics community generally, and the ASA in particular, are deficient in these areas so as to require a group to address these deficiencies.

Thank you!

Stefan Sharkansky, PhD
    Useful Work, Inc.
    Bellevue,WA

• 3.  RE: Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group Petition

Posted 07-13-2020 16:55

Hi, Stefan,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group (DIIG)!  The DIIG is a group committed to the principles and objectives in the recent ASA Statement on Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

One example outcome already in progress is the compilation of a clearinghouse of resources related to diversity and inclusion (defined in the scope of the charter) in the profession.  There are other examples in progress as well. 

Thank you for your interest!

Best,

Julia

Julia Sharp
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Colorado State University