ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  36 Hours in Baltimore

Posted 04-15-2017 08:07
    I'm looking forward to spending more than 36 hours in Baltimore this summer as part of the Joint Statistical Meetings.  For those interested in planning their time the New York Times has just published a guide to "36 Hours in Baltimore", subtitled "Charm City has raised the charm quotient, with hip cocktail bars, coffeehouses and a quirky historic appeal."

"Charm City has raised the charm quotient considerably in the past few years, managing to retain its quirky appeal as it develops stylish, more upmarket restaurants and hotels. The traditional things, like the old-school sheet cake at Lexington Market, remain unchanged, while neighborhoods like Charles Village seem to be opening new bars and restaurants daily. The allure of Baltimore lies not in its built-for-tourists Inner Harbor, where you'll find chain restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe, but in its abundance of 19th-century architecture and hip cocktail bars - not to mention its welcoming outdoor spaces and world-class art museums."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/13/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-baltimore-maryland.html?_r=0

I hope to see many of you there.

Nick

------------------------------
    Nicholas Horton
    Amherst College
    Amherst, MA United States

• 2.  RE: 36 Hours in Baltimore

Posted 04-21-2017 09:26
    The last (and only) time I was in Baltimore was for ENAR a couple of years ago. It snowed 5" my first night. I don't think that'll be a problem for JSM. ;-)

A colleague (a Hopkins alum) took me to this delightful cafe: Miss Shirley's Cafe - Maryland's Best Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch It was so good that we went there 4 times over the course of the conference. I was particularly thrilled with the "build your own" omelet that fueled a long and awe-filled trip to the Aquarium. Can't recommend both establishments highly enough!

Becky

Rebecca McNeil
    Research Statistician
    RTI International - RTP, NC