ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Introduction to R for Data Science

Posted 04-29-2017 07:54

Starting on Monday, May 1, FutureLearn is hosting a 4-week (very introductory) course on R for data science.  It starts from first principles.  Its only purpose is to introduce students to the R platform, to using some vectorized functions, the tapply function, etc.  It does not require any background knowledge at all.

The course is only a small "appetizer".  If you already know R, you will not find this course to be interesting!

The material can be viewed completely for free during the 4-week period, as well as 14 days beyond the course too.  If you have students or colleagues who might benefit from this, they can find the material available for free:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/data-science/

(It is safe to ignore the $79 certificate button if you don't want any certificate for the course at the end!)

I never heard of FutureLearn until this year.  It is a British platform for online learning.  Purdue University is partnering with FutureLearn to offer 4 online courses, one of which is my course.

Best wishes,

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Daniel Ward
    Purdue University

• 2.  RE: Introduction to R for Data Science

Posted 05-03-2017 23:33
    Cool! I just signed up.I have been looking for some good instructions on getting started in R. Thanks!

Ryan Cantor
    University of Alabama At Birmingham