ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

JSM bag opt-out option

• 1.  JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-04-2017 07:55
    I want to get the input of regular JSM attendees on the following question:
    What do you do with your JSM bag after the conference is over?
    It seems that most people just throw it away, and many don't use it at all since they bring their own bags to the event.  
    If there's enough interest from the ASA community on this issue perhaps we can request the JSM organizers to include an option at registration time so we can opt out of receiving a bag.

• 2.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-04-2017 07:57
    Although I might still take mine, I agree it might be a good idea for it to be an option. However, why can't you just decline it in person when you show up the first morning?

• 3.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-04-2017 23:40
    Gabriel, I guess that if you do that then they just throw it away for you (I actually don't know what happens with their leftover bags).  It would be ideal if the JSM organizers could order only the amount of bags that are requested by the attendees.  It just seems like a huge waste of resources to manufacture all of those bags given that most of them end up in the trash almost immediately.

------------------------------
    Mauricio Sadinle
    Postdoctoral Associate
    Duke University

• 4.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 05:50
    It'd be nice if the organizers make the bag a reusable grocery bag,
    like some other conferences. It will be less expensive, lighter,
    greener, and wider publicity for sponsors from reusing.

Jun Yan
    Professor
    University of Connecticut

• 5.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 09:15
    I agree with Yun that providing grocery bags or something similarly utilitarian is preferred. 

I end up immediately emptying my bag, keeping the pieces I need and leaving the bag in the hotel room when I leave.

Lawrence Muhlbaier
    Associate Professor
    Duke University

• 6.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 15:24
    I've heard that homeless people appreciate whatever bags they can get.  Consider donating your unwanted bags.

Alexa J. M. Sorant

NIH/NHGRI/CSGB/Genometrics
    333 Cassell Drive Suite 1200
    Baltimore, MD 21224

443-740-2919 telephone
    443-740-2165 fax

• 7.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 01:17

I keep my JSM bag. Some years, they're ultra-cool. Also, I have a colleague who teaches the Introductory Biostats class at our institution, and I've given him old bags for him to store students' exams in. Old JSM bags seem much better for that than old ENAR bags.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 8.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 02:38
    I use my bag for work and discard it when it wears out.

UT Southwestern

Medical Center

The future of medicine, today.

• 9.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 07:43

I keep my bags and repurpose them for other functions.  I'm involved in several community projects/clubs and each has a need for me to carry things for their meetings.  The JSM (and other conference bags) are my go-to.

However, I do love the idea of either being able to opt out of getting a bag, or having a place to "recycle" them after the conference.

Susan E. Spruill

Susan E. Spruill, PStat®

Statistical Consultant, President

Applied Statistics and Consulting

828-467-9184 (phone)

Professional Statistician accredited by the American Statistical Association

www.appstatsconsulting.com

• 10.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 01:43

I would very much like to see this option!

image001.jpg@01D30BF3.8A129B30

Constantine Daskalakis, ScD

Associate Professor

Director, JeffMD Evidence-Based Medicine Thread

& Scholarly Inquiry Program

Div. of Biostatistics

Dept. of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics

Thomas Jefferson University

1015 Chesnut St, Suite 520, Philadelphia, PA 19107

(215) 955-5695

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/departments/pharmacology/biostatistics/overview.html

The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or urgent health care matters.

• 11.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 07:43

I agree that it would be good to ask, and save ASA a bit of money.  I actually keep and use mine, since I carry stuff to work every day in one from a year or two ago (before it wears out).

What would also be useful would be if they asked what kinds of bags people would most likely keep and use. I like best one with a zipped up section (which they usually do have), at least 2 additional pockets (which last year's had but this year's does not), both a short handle for holding in my hand and a long enough loop to go around my neck (both of which they often, but not always) have. Etc.

I'm surprised people throw them away -- seems like everybody needs bags like this for something, and the JSM bags are better than the one you get in the mail from charities!

Ed

Ed J. Gracely, PhD
    Associate Professor
    Family, Community, & Preventive Medicine

College of Medicine

Associate Professor

Epidemiology and Biostatistics

Dornsife School of Public Health

Drexel University
    2900 W. Queen Lane,
    Philadelphia PA, 19129

Tel: 215.991.8466 
    | Fax: 215.843.6028
    Cell: 609.707.6965

eg26@drexel.edu (egracely@drexelmed.edu forwards)
    drexelmed.edu  |  drexel.edu/publichealth

• 12.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 09:37
    I agree with Ed. I like having the bag and I used it in addition to my small backpack throughout the JSM. I also find uses for it afterwards, such as using it for reading material on plane trips. I know it's trivial, but I enjoy  getting a "free" bag at registration.

Al Feiveson

Alan Feiveson
    Statistician
    NASA

• 13.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 08:31
    I have kept and used my bags for decades in carrying items to and from work and in traveling. More recently I've started to give them away. Students and coworkers who never been to ASA meetings really love them. So recycle them, don't throw them away.

Brenda Cox
    Statistical Consultant

• 14.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-09-2017 10:47
    I bring my own bag (I wouldn't trust the JSM bag to hold my laptop) and leave the JSM bag at registration.
    If enough people did this they could produce fewer of them.
    Howard Wainer

• 15.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 08:37
    I would welcome this option as well.

Jean Adams
    USGS Great Lakes Science Center

• 16.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 08:46
    In my view, this should be an option. The thinner and printed JSM program was also pretty useless this time around.I think that we should encourage people to not pick these up, and thus register them at a few ($5/$10) less. However, it may cost JSM money to do this since the bags have sponsored material so may not be practical to implement.

Ranjan Maitra
    Professor
    Iowa State University

• 17.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 10:44
    I would like to have the option to pre-decline the bag and printed matter, thus allowing ASA to save costs by creating fewer of these or, if the bags and inserts are fully sponsored, to have less impact on the environment. Some years the bags are better than the ones I have kept to use for one-day meetings; other years I just turn the bag back in.

Alicia Toledano
    President
    Biostatistics Consulting, LLC

• 18.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 11:21
    Dear All,

Some years the JSM bag is useful. Others, like this year, it is not. I left mine in my hotel room.

I would personally prefer a grocery-like bag. I still have a few from the '90's that I use for this purpose (they have been washed many times). The briefcase-like ones don't wash as well. I've given some away to graduate students and I have one that I use for carrying papers and books around campus.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Monnie McGee

Monnie McGee
    Associate Professor
    Southern Methodist University
    Dallas,TX United States

• 19.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 12:44
    The bags are a nice thought but I view them as analogous to finishers medals at the neighborhood 5k run.  That is, a bit unnecessary.  They have traditionally piled up in my closet.  I suggest an opt-in at reservation - with a $5 fee.  While students and conference volunteers could get a free bag if they want one, everyone else can pay $5 to opt in.  An ASA raffle would be another idea, you could pay your $5 and get the traditional bag or take your chances with a few raffle tickets for an upgraded bag.  Any money made could be put into statistics education efforts.

Cynthia Gargano

• 20.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 13:12
    I love the idea of the bag opt-out option. It is a waste of resources. -Moni Neradilek

• 21.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-07-2017 13:19

Thanks for bringing this into discussion.  Personally, I favor the reusable grocery/tote bag to these "computer" bags.  Best ever was the 2003 San Francisco bag – black canvas tote with a large zipped side pocket and open top for main compartment.  I use it regularly for travel.

Cheers, Katherine

• 22.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 10:39
    Good discussion.  I stack them in my office and give them out to folks who are looking for bags (which doesn't happen often).  I agree that an opt-out or reusable grocery bag would be great.

Michael Posner
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Director, Center for Statistics Education
    Villanova University

• 23.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 10:43
    I have been to conferences in big cities where there is a collection site at the end for the unwanted bags.  They end up with charities in time for back-to-school.  I was sure I had seen that option in the pre-conference materials but since I did not go this year I wasn't looking very carefully and didn't find it in my < 1 min search just now.

Beverly Wood
    Assistant Professor
    Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

• 24.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 11:04
    ​I would rather prefer a JSM (Year) or those witty statistically-themed T-shirts!

These T-shirts may come quite handy on the JSM dance floor or on a hot summer day.

The bags are not useful, as there are not enough pockets to keep a set of mobile gadgets (with the JSM Mobile App loaded), not to mention all those eye-catching freebies from the Expo!

Kelly H. Zou, PhD, PStat, ASA Fellow
    Chair, ASA SPAIG
    Chair-Elect, ASA HPSS

• 25.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 12:06
    ​Time to go!  Especially with the demise of the printed program book!
    Completely superfluous at this point.  Also, they used to be constructed well enough to actually have some use after the meeting, but this hasn't been the case for years.  Start with an opt-out option.

Thomas Dobbins
    Executive Director, Clinical Development
    Merck & Co., Inc.

• 26.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-08-2017 23:14
    I agree with Mr. Dobbins.  More important was demise of printed program book. ASA should restore program regardless of what it does about the bag. 

Pen in bag is very useful, but a pad of paper would had helped. If there had been a program, I could have used it!

I always bring my own bag to avoid confusion.

Robert Parker
    Consultant

• 27.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-09-2017 11:15

I agree with Mr. Dobbins and Mr. Parker.  I have never used the bags and always considered them a waste of resources, but never more than this year when they contained only a pen, lanyard, and vendor ads.  I would absolutely opt-out, and like Mr. Parker I would have much preferred a notepad!  A reusable grocery bag would be an improvement on design (actually useful), but still entirely unnecessary.

Peggy Bryan

Instructor and Consultant

• 28.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-09-2017 06:15
    For the first time I left it in the hotel.  Could we opt for the old printed book instead of the bag? I really miss the book, my phone is a lousy alternative.  Also, this convention setup was great, so convenient.  Maybe we should choose JSM sites based on functionality.

Dennis Boos
    Professor
    North Carolina State University

• 29.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-11-2017 01:16
    I agree with you, I missed the book too😁
    Nagambal Shah
    Emerita Prof of Math
    Spelman College
    Atlanta, GA

Sent from my iPhone

• 30.  RE: JSM bag opt-out option

Posted 08-22-2017 14:41
    Hello, all!

I wanted to drop in to say thank you all for this thread and all of the responses! We've been watching it here in the ASA office and have paid attention to all of your feedback. (I didn't want to post earlier for fear of interrupting the conversation!)

The Meetings team here let me know that we do donate all of the bags attendees choose not to take or that you leave behind with us at the end of a conference. Most convention centers and other meeting locations have arrangements with local charities and service organizations that need bags, and we take advantage of those.

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association