ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Network Analysis

Posted 01-25-2017 10:58

Hi,

I would like to post a question to ASA Connect.  It is:

"Does anyone know of any good papers or books on Network Analysis?  I'm looking for all levels, elementary to advance.  Also, any related to HEOR would be helpful."

Regards,

Mike

Michael Zelasky

Principal, Global Biometrics

signature

Sciformix

Tel: 860-334-3610

Email: michael.zelasky@sciformix.com  

Follow us:

Stay Informed. Stay Connected.

Sciformix news, events, and industry trends.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon it. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and Sciformix is not responsible for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.

• 2.  RE: Network Analysis

Posted 01-26-2017 10:01
    Edited by William Reichmann 01-26-2017 10:01
    Hi Michael,

When I was working in HEOR consulting I found that the NICE technical support documents (TSDs) were really useful. They also incldue WinBUGS code for running some of the standard models. 

Here's a link to the Evidence Synthesis TSDs. http://www.nicedsu.org.uk/Evidence-Synthesis-TSD-series(2391675).htm

I remember mostly using TSD2 and TSD3.

Hope this helps.

Bill

• 3.  RE: Network Analysis

Posted 01-26-2017 10:19
    Hi Michael,

There is a really steep learning curve for this field, as you have to learn a whole new "language" and also you have to really start to think differently.

Having that said, here are a few of my favorites:

1. Networks, An Introduction, by Mark Newman at Michigan. A great text for STEM undergrads. It is a doorstop, but it is terrific.

2. The Structure of Complex Network: Theory and Applications, by Ernesto Estrada at Strathclyde in Scotland. The entire first third-half of Newman's text is examples, while Estrada goes straight for the math. This one is good, but not as good as Newman's, IMO.

3. Estrada also has "A First Course in Network Theory" that he co-authored with Philip Knight. It is good, but he published the above one first, and I have never had a reason to get into this.

4. From Eric Kolaczyk at BU there is "Statistical Analysis of Network Data: Methods and Models. This also has a companion "Statistical Analysis of Network Data with R" by Kolaczyk and Gabor Csardi. Good for teaching students in statistics and biostatistics

5. For those that are not so quantitatively gifted, there is "Social Networks and Health: Models, Methods, and Applications" by Tom Valente from Southern Cal. 

I have been teaching this to grad students since 2010, when there was no text and we just used publications and notes. I teach in public health and nursing programs. I use Valente's text. Once I had a class that built on the public health course, which was more advanced network methods for biostat students, then I used Kolaczyk's book and the companion R guide. 

For HEOR, probably the Valente book comes closest.

------------------------------
    Vicki Hertzberg
    Emory University
    ------------------------------