ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  What brought you to the ASA?

Posted 04-11-2017 12:42
    Edited by Lara Harmon 06-29-2017 18:25

Hello, all! Whether you just joined this month or or are a longtime member let us know--Why did you join the ASA? What brought you to the American Statistical Association?

To respond, click the blue "Reply to eGroup" button to the right and then fill out the form that pops up just as though you were writing an email. (And if you have any questions about the ASA Community or the posting process, just contact us. We're happy to help!)

The ASA Community is looking forward to learning what brought you here. We're glad you've joined!

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: What brought you to the ASA?

Posted 04-12-2017 09:22
    The Iraqi regime used to withhold from non-members of the Baath Party all documents (such as university diplomas) to prevent such non-members from leaving Iraq to live in some other country as academicians. I needed "some evidence of learning" so to speak, so being a member of ASA came to mind when I was an undergraduate student at Baghdad University. Was it really "evidence"? I don't know now.

Raid Amin
    Professor
    University of West Florida

• 3.  RE: What brought you to the ASA?

Posted 04-12-2017 09:22
    I joined the National Cancer Institute, NIH, in 1975 as a visiting mathematical statistician.  Next year, I was visiting the Texas A & M statistics department and gave a seminar on stochastic theory.  H.O. Hartley, the then chairman of the department, suggested I became a member of the ASA.  I became a member sometime thereafter, and I am mighty glad I did.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Biostatistician

Ajit Thakur
    Associate Director

• 4.  RE: What brought you to the ASA?

Posted 04-13-2017 09:22
    I just joined! I went to a local chapter meeting and presentation and had a great time. I plan to attend more conferences and get to know fellow statisticians. Probably CSP in the spring of 2018. If anyone has any suggestions for getting the most out of the conference shoot me a message.

Ryan Cantor

• 5.  RE: What brought you to the ASA?

Posted 05-25-2017 04:14
    Edited by Robert Pieczykolan 05-25-2017 04:16
    My name is Robert Pieczykolan and I used to be a teacher of English as a foreign lg. in Poland. I have been living in the UK for past 5. I am currently working towards MSc degree in mental health psychology with the University of Liverpool.  I used to have a respected job before, but not since I came to the UK. In fact, I am currently working as a factory worker and I do not see myself in that place forever. Furthermore, I am struggling to complete my Uni only due to lack of sufficient finances(I still need 3000 pounds to complete my uni and it is close to impossible to save such an amount on a minimum wage,even when both me and my wife are employed). Since I am particularly interested in statistics and research methods, I want to go into that direction in the near future.Hopefully,ASA membership and the SWB projects I am involved in will help me out. Furthermore, I might also meet some people who will point me into right direction.

Robert Pieczykolan

• 6.  RE: What brought you to the ASA?

Posted 05-29-2017 19:39
    Hello, my name is MacLean Koslowski and I'm a rising senior statistics major and computer science minor at James Madison University. Currently I'm doing a statistics REU at JMU that involves statistical learning approaches for predicting disease status from high dimensional genomic data. Last semester, I expressed an interest in starting a statistics club at JMU, and one of my professors who is already involved with the ASA recommended I research starting an ASA chapter. I am currently in the application process for establishing the chapter as an official organization at JMU and I look forward to organizing statistics-related events at my school and getting involved in the ASA as a member.

MacLean Koslowski
    James Madison University