ASA Connect

View Only

Generosity of Statisticians in book donation

• 1.  Generosity of Statisticians in book donation

Posted 09-08-2017 10:14

Dear Statistics Friends,

Congratulations because of you we have built the largest research methods library in the world

BA Serageldin Research methods Library

Total Number of Boxes: 

Total number of research methods books

We have built the enormous research methods library in 18 months, the BA Serageldin Research methods library, at the Library of Alexandria.  Your donated books are currently residing in my office.  It is a wonderful feeling to see the generousity of you, and to fight the evil scourage of Stataphobia world wide. The last day for donation was Sept. 6, and the books will be picked up for their Atlantic cruise probably next week. It is nice to have more research methods books than the 161 million book Library of Congress.

We must thank some of the people who made this possible.  Mary Shann initiated the book drive, Ismail Serageldin director Emeritus of the Library of Alexandria supported the transport of the books to Alexandria. Fritz Scheuren, the former president of ASA not only donated books but helped so much with the collaboration of ASA. Ron Wasserstein was extremely helpful in providing support, and helping to collect books. Janet McDougal collected books from all across Canada.

Then of course there is you, the ~150 donors who contributed books and are listed in our donor page http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/ResearchMethods/SerageldinEuclidLibrary.htm.  If you are not on the page, contact me (ronaldlaporte@gmail.com)

Sadly, the day has passed for sending your books to my office. However, if you would like to share books, you can send them directly to the library. I will provide the contact information.

We thank you, for helping bright young minds in Arab and African countries.

As seen my office looks like the hurricane Irma of statistics books. You must come visit your books at the Library of Alexandria

Please contact me if you have questions.

​Ronald LaPorte,  Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus, former WHO Collaborating Centre

5128 Graduate School Public Health

130 Desoto Street

Pittsburgh, PA USA 15261

USA

ronaldlaporte@gmail.com

------------------------------
    Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com