ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 06-09-2017 12:40

Dear All,

We are looking for ideas for statistics lesson plans having to do with current news topics. Please send us your ideas and include the news event, what statistical concept(s) could be taught regarding that event, and perhaps a sentence or two on how it might be taught.

We plan to review the ideas submitted and then pitch the top ones to the New York Times Learning Network, which has indicated a willingness to consider ASA submissions. Indeed, they published a piece last fall on the This is Statistics election prediction contest.  

We're also seeking ideas for possible submissions by teachers/instructors for how they use NYT content. They are also open to pitches for news quizzes or student contests.

We're really excited for this opportunity and look forward to your ideas.

Individual replies to me are fine but I'd also be interested in replies to the group for the benefit of broader exchanges on the ideas offered.

Thank you!

Steve

------------------------------
    Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 06-09-2017 13:23
    Edited by Rebecca Nichols 06-09-2017 13:57
    This post was removed

• 3.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 06-12-2017 02:07
    It is rather firmly established that a lot of science claims are not replicating. One problem among many is what is called "p-hacking" - the examination of many questions and then reporting the p-value of a selected test. So here is the plan. Find a claim reported in the popular press. Get the press release. Get the paper. Carefully count how many questions are possible. Count: outcomes, predictors, and covariates. Now ask the author two questions. Did you file an analysis protocol? Will you make your data set public?

Sidney Young
    Retired

• 4.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 06-14-2017 18:52
    Hi,
    I expect that most competent modern stats courses have long ago abandoned coin tosses and balls in urns as the source of the classroom attention.
    Instead most instructors I know use whatever is in the recent media.
    That should be easy to tap.
    I would start with Andy Gelman'sd blog and anything else he has done with his remarkable productivity.
    Pretty much every body else does the same things although perhaps not so publicly.
    I have drawn inspiration from the current news for a large proportion of the articles I have written continually in Chance for the past 28 years (see my column Visual Revelations since 1990 for lots of examples).
    A fair number of these have been anthologized in my recent books, see:

Truth or Truthiness: Distinguishing Fact from Fiction by Learning to Think like a Data Scientist. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2016. (named by the Financial Times to its 'Top Six books of 2016').

Medical Illuminations: Using Evidence, Visualization & Statistical thinking to Improve Healthcare.  London: Oxford University Press, 2014 (finalist Royal Society Winton Book Prize).

A Statistical Guide for the Ethically Perplexed (with L. Hubert). New York: Chapman and Hall, 2013.

Uneducated Guesses Using Evidence to Uncover Misguided Education Policies. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2011 (finalist for the Grawemeyer/World Order Award)

Picturing the Uncertain World: How to Understand, Communicate and Control Uncertainty through Graphical Display. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2009.

Sorry to be so sellf-serving -- look in Gelman's wonderful "Tricks of the Trade" for lovely examples.

HW

Howard Wainer
    Extinguished Research Scientist

• 5.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 06-13-2017 08:11
    You are welcome to look at my "weird statistics" blog at Weird Statistics in the News   You might get some ideas from that.  The majority are articles drawn from current news that have some statistical content which I comment on.  It doesn't address complex topics but my general intent is to address the lack of understanding of statistics among the population and show them examples which are either good uses or more often, bad uses and point out which is which.   I only focus on unusual things to get their attention.   That audience would yawn at or not bother to read an academic article.

William Bentley
    Value-Train

• 6.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 06-15-2017 10:45
    Hi, I have successfully used some of the 538 data sets for  my classes:  fivethirtyeight/data  These data sets give students an opportunity to explore data around a wide range of news worth topics.  Best regards to all.

Stephen Elston
    Principle Consultant
    Quantia Analytics, LLC

• 7.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 06-16-2017 11:51
    I also recall that several of my students have found topical data sets (politics, sports, etc.) in the Kagel data sets Datasets | Kaggle   Hope this helps. S

Stephen Elston
    Principle Consultant
    Quantia Analytics, LLC

• 8.  RE: Looking for statistics lesson plan ideas related to current news topics

Posted 07-07-2017 17:13
    I used to regularly post summaries of news articles (mostly the New York Times) to the Chance Wiki (https://www.causeweb.org/wiki/chance/index.php/Main_Page), but then things got busy. Apparently I wasn't the only one. They used to post new content every other month, but they only had two issues.in 2016 and only one so far in 2017. This is a shame because the amount of media content relevant to Statistics has gotten bigger and better recently.

I'm going to turn over a new leaf and I just contributed a summary of a nice article using Principal Components Analysis of the books of Jane Austen that appeared yesterday in the New York Times. I'd encourage others to contribute to the Chance Wiki as well. Also take some time to review earlier issues of the Chance Wiki, as it is a gold mine of news resources that we all can use in our classrooms.

Stephen Simon, blog.pmean.com
    Independent Statistical Consultant
    P. Mean Consulting