ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  donating books and statistical equity

Posted 07-28-2018 12:30
    Dear Statistical Friends

There has been a discussion about the difficult of donating Statistics books.  It is an honor for us to collect books for the Library of Alexandria Serageldin Research methods library.  Over the past 3 years we have collected 13,000 research methods books from over 300 donors.  These books have been shipped to the Library of Alexandria, cataloged and shelved an we are beginning to share them with young investigators in Africa and Arab countries.  In addition, we have developed the first scientific Interlibrary loan program in Africa.

The cost for shipping a book to Egypt is about $1.00 by cargo ship.  In addition, many who have already donated have taken the donation off of their taxes. 

The logic is simple.  Look at your book case.  Where will your books end up with you retire or die? A Land fill?  Also, how many of the books have you read in the past 10 years?  Would your books be better off helping young people in Chad or Mali?

Our goal is statistical Equity so that a student in Niger will have equal access to your books as a student in Harvard.  Please make your statistics books useful.
    This gift will be part of your legacy as the books will have your name in them and will rub elbows with the Spirit of Euclid the permanent collection of the library for 400 years.

It is time to hand off your knowledge to future generations in Africa, please donate

Row upon row of research methods books

------------------------------
    Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com
    724 934 9023
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: donating books and statistical equity

Posted 07-30-2018 14:16
    I have loads of books - how do I send them from the uk?

Kind Regards

Marie Oldfield

• 3.  RE: donating books and statistical equity

Posted 07-31-2018 17:06
    Ronald,

I have over 100 books of various aspects of probability theory, mathematical statistics, applied and biostatistics, etc. as well as graduate and post-graduate level mathematics such as theory and practice of linear, nonlinear,and partial differential and integral equations.  I can send a list.  I have retired 5 years ago and do not need most of them.  You mention about $1.00 for shipping them by overseas mail to Alexandria, Egypt.  Is that price for per book or per shipment?  If it is per book, it will amount to several hundred dollars for shipment.  Any thought will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ajit

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician