ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 10-31-2017 16:03
    ​One of my undergraduate introductory statistics students is interested in finding out more about a career in Sports Statistics. He is changing his major to mathematics to work towards this goal.

Do you have any information that might help us understand which graduate program are best suited for this career?  Also, we are looking to find out more about the professional opportunities for a Sports Statistician.

------------------------------
    Mary Fowler
    Professor
    Worcester State University

• 2.  RE: Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 11-01-2017 01:35
    I'm not quite sure if there is a such thing as "sports" statistics but if your student gets a degree in sports management and a degree or certificate in applied statistics he or she will be fine.

Bohannon Smith
    Data Scientist
    John Hopkins University

• 3.  RE: Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 11-08-2017 09:56
    I disagree that a degree in "sports management" would benefit the student. That's such a general and non-technical degree, that it wouldn't give the student enough stat-specific training. If they have a passion for their particular sport of choice, then they should focus on learning a solid foundation of statistics and analytics, which will help them once they get into the field.

Also, they should start a blog, or otherwise do things on their own. "Show me don't just tell me", as the saying goes. That way when they do make contact with teams, they will have a portfolio to show off.

• 4.  RE: Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 11-01-2017 09:28
    I worked for several years in the Nike Sport's Research Lab and did a number of studies on sports statistics. There are a couple of journals including the ASA journal JQAS. If your student wants to know what it is like to work in the field, this would be a good resource. 

Robert Yerex
    Senior Data Scientist
    Advanced Technology Collaborative
    Optum Technology

• 5.  RE: Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 11-02-2017 01:01
    One of our alum is a sports data analyst - so proud - he's a fantastic statistician, speaker, person.  His PhD was in spatial statistics, and he's used it brilliantly to study basketball movements.  Luke Borrn  -
    www.lukebornn.com   He has some papers on his website.  And - he is not at SFU too much these days because he's working for the Kings -  
    http://www.nba.com/kings/news/luke-bornn-named-vp-strategy-analytics/
    I know he was hiring a lot of statisticians when he got hired there.  So there are jobs, for sure.  

There are sports analytics conferences, lots of neat stats going on in them.  Here is one that is pretty famous:
    http://www.sloansportsconference.com/
    There's a hackathon there, that might be of interest to students.   There is also a job board on the conference website.

Nancy Heckman
    Professor and Head,
    Statistics Dept
    Univ of British Columbia

• 6.  RE: Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 11-02-2017 01:13
      Statistics in Sports is a growing field in Statistics that provides specialized methodology
    for collecting and analyzing sports data in order to make decisions for successful planning
    and implementation of new strategies.

People are more familiar with the term "Sports Analytic" than the term "Sports Statistics". My PhD dissertation is on "Sports analytics"(sports analytics by RM SILVA ) which might be a good reference for your student to see what kind of stuff that we can do as statisticians relevant to this new field. 

Rajitha M. Silva, PhD
    Senior Lecturer
    University of Sri Jayewardenepura

• 7.  RE: Advisement for Sports Statistics

Posted 11-03-2017 12:23
    Dear Mary,

This is Statistics did a sports analytics webinar last fall that might be helpful: http://thisisstatistics.org/sportsanalytics/

Let me also point out the annual New England Symposium on Statistics in Sports and the recent CMU Sports Analytics Conference. Your student might also get more advise from the ASA Statistics in Sports Section. 

Best,
    Steve 

Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association