ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  What *is* mentoring, anyway?

Posted 09-20-2016 14:46

In the September issue of Amstat News, Terry Speed asks, "What *is* mentoring and why is it a good thing?" (For his answer, see the article here: http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2016/09/01/whatismentoring/)

What do you think? For my part, I agree that mentoring is at its best when it's a two-way (or sometimes many-way, in the case of peer mentoring!) street, where all individuals involved benefit from the relationship and come away with new knowledge, perspectives, and skills. Some of the most rewarding mentorship relationships I've had in my life, I'm not even sure my mentors were aware they were mentoring! We were simply deeply engaged in shared projects that mattered to us all. We all had hopes, skills,and ideas to contribute to the projects. Working together like that allowed me to watch and learn from my mentors' experience and work ethics, and I think they learned from me, as well. Those experiences gave me confidence and hope that I could accomplish goals I had been uncertain about before *and* that I could maintain personal integrity and represent a professional field well while doing so.

So what does mentoring mean to you? Why *is* it a good thing? How has it changed you for the better, whether you were a mentor, a mentee, or both at once?

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: What *is* mentoring, anyway?

Posted 09-22-2016 17:05
    Edited by Shankang Qu 09-22-2016 21:12

Hi Lara,

I am mentoring three, among them two are statisticians. It is a "good thing" because, unlike a teacher/student connection, the mentor/mentee relationship can be a win/win. They both are the inspirer.

A mentor is benefited through [1] sharing expertise, [2] demonstrating leadership, [3] obtaining new perspectives and insights, and [4] developing the future of the organization. A mentee can be benefited on [1] developing leadership capabilities, [2] expanding networks, [3] building self awareness and [4] learning about the organization overall.

Thank you for bringing up this.

Best regards.

Shankang Qu, Ph.D
    Statistician
    PepsiCo