ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-06-2016 10:43

Hello all.

I am a PhD student needing some help. I was asked the question below for an analysis project.

1. Does the addition of Antithrombin Concentrate (ATIII) decrease the heparin infusion rates overall?

Naturally, this sounded to me like the outcome variable is heparin infusion (Yes/No or 1/0).   I thought I run a logistic regression. However when I received the data set the outcome variable (heparin) is continuous and all the covariates are also continuous. Now I am thinking to myself should I stratify Heparin from the median and still run a logistic regression? ( or should proceed with linear regression?)
    Thanks for input.

Karl Stessy Bisselou

Ph.D Candidate

College of Public Health  |  Department of Biostatistics

| COPH | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Flickr

The information in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the addressee(s) above. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete it and immediately contact the sender.

• 2.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-07-2016 08:12

I recommend talking with the clinician about how they intend to use the information from the study.  They may be looking at decrease in heparin dose (continuous outcome) with increasing amounts of the other drug, and may not be interested in heparin as a binary outcome.

------------------------------
    Nancy Buderer, MS
    Consulting
    Biostatistician, Program Evaluator, Research Consultant

• 3.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-07-2016 08:50

Hi,

The question asks if use of the drug results in an overall reduction in heparin infusion rate. The data you received were continuous. I think the heparin data must have at least pre-drug and post-drug values so that a change from pre-drug heparin infusion can be calculated (post-drug - pre-drug). If that's so, then any changes < 0 indicate a reduction in heparin use while changes >= 0 indicate no reduction in heparin use. You now have a binary response. Of course, there are other considerations you'll need to be aware of. Before starting though, have a good talk with the clinicians to make sure they understand what it is they want and that you agree with their idea. Clinicians are not always the most statistically savvy people out there, although there are exceptions. Good luck!

Nestor Rohowsky
    President and Principal Consultant
    Integrated Data Consultation Svcs, Inc.

• 4.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-07-2016 09:09
    Karl,

If all your variables, including the covariates, are measured on continuous scales and are approximately normally distributed, linear regression is your better choice.  Regression on continuous variables is moderately robust.  By taking your continuous outcome variable and converting it on the binary scale, you will be loosing a lot of information that are contained within.  Even if some of your covariates are not on the continuous scale and your outcome variable is, your better choice is still regression technique.  Good luck.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D
    Retired Statistician

• 5.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-07-2016 11:16

I will suggest you to talk with your clients.  The terms that physicians expressed sometimes was not what a statistician thought.  You will clarify what the "heparin infusion rates" means.  It might mean the percentage of patients who used certain dose (or above) heparin.  It also might mean the dosage of the heparin infusion (rate might mean per min).  Then based on the clinical definition, you will choose methods to analyze the data. 

In addition, I don't think median will be a good way to define the cutoff.  A clinical meaningful cutoff will work better. 

Jun Liu
    Sr. Biostatistician

• 6.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-07-2016 18:22

We need more information.  Is this a before/after experiment?  Or is this an observational study where some subjects received ATIII and others did not?

• 7.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-08-2016 10:08

Hi Karl,

This is one of those questions that seems straightforward until you dig into the details. I agree with the comments of others suggesting you clarify exactly what this clinician is expecting to see in terms of ‘decreased infusion rates.’  I’ll add a data consideration, having worked on studies with infused drug previously.  Look carefully at your dataset.  Infused drugs may be provided in different concentrations and it is not unusual for a patient to start with one concentration but change to another concentration at a different infusion rate.  It is also not uncommon to have dosing changes as part of the standard of care, so be careful to address this possibility, too.  Good luck with the project!

Jeremy Jokinen, PhD
    Sr Director, Safety Decision Analytics
    AbbVie, Inc

• 8.  RE: DATA ANALYSIS

Posted 07-08-2016 10:12

The question is a bit fuzzy with regard to design and data collected.  Is there a control group with no intervention? Does the intervention being given have different doses? Do you have data for both baseline and followup for your outcome variable (which I assume is continuous)--in which case you need to decide how to treat the baseline value (as a covariate) or using it in a change from baseline, or repeated measure. Is the time between baseline and followup a constant?  So sitting down with the clinician is a must!

Katherine Freeman
    President
    EXTRAPOLATE