ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Sequence of Topics for Intro (Algebra based) Stats Course

Posted 06-29-2016 15:58

Hi,

I am new to the stats ed community, and I am wondering if anyone knows of a "best practices" guideline on what topics should be covered in an (algebra based) introductory statistics class and the sequence in which they should be taught. 

Although I have found numerous articles/papers/op ed pieces on this topic, I have found nothing in the GAISE guidelines or any other publication from an accredited statistics education organization on the second issue, regarding the sequence of topics.

Thank you,

Matthew T. Brenneman

• 2.  RE: Sequence of Topics for Intro (Algebra based) Stats Course

Posted 06-30-2016 15:53

Hi,

Here is what I consider the traditional sequence for algebra based introductory statistics class:

Introduction to Statistics to Motivate the Students

Either Exploratory Data Analysis  and then  How to collect data or vice versa

Exploratory Data Analysis would include (1) types of graphs, (2) types of measures (center, spread) or proportion, and (3) simple relationships (a) between two quantitative (regression) (b) between two categorical (two-way tables), and (c) between an independent (explanatory) categorical variable and a dependent (response) quantitative variable (e.g. sex versus height)

How to collect data would include sampling / surveys and experiments

Probability – how much depends upon client disciplines;

Move into sampling distribution either with mean or proportion first

Typically, if you do mean first, you have to cover the situation with sigma (population st. dev.) known then the t-test.  Next cover two independent sample t-test, and the dependent t-test.  Next is the proportion, one and two.   Here is an alternative (1)  mean, z-score, population st. dev. known, then (2 & 3) proportion, one and two sample, then (4 & 5) t-test, mean, one sample, two independent, and two dependent samples.

If you do proportion first, then you can usually skip the z-test situation.

Depending on your time, hypothesis testing regression, one-way ANOVA, chi-square.

I hope this helps.

Marjorie

Description: <a href=image001.png@01CD844B.D2A191B0">

Marjorie E. Bond
    Professor of Mathematics & CS

Statistician
    mebond@monmouthcollege.edu
    www.monmouthcollege.edu

Monmouth College
    700 East Broadway
    Monmouth IL 61462-1998

309-457-2338 office

• 3.  RE: Sequence of Topics for Intro (Algebra based) Stats Course

Posted 06-30-2016 16:55

Hi,

I realized later that I probably posted this to the wrong community (like I said, I'm new here), but I appreciate your response.

I pretty much follow your outline, and it is one of those things that seems obvious, but I recently encountered a situation where the order of topics was very different, and so I was wanting to find some actual body of statistics educators that had actually recommended the order you outlined. There is a decent amount of articles that basically give the same schedule but interestingly enough, there is no "best practices" in the literature that I can find. Maybe this is because it is so obvious, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Matt Brenneman

------------------------------
    Matthew Brenneman
    Ball State University

• 4.  RE: Sequence of Topics for Intro (Algebra based) Stats Course

Posted 07-01-2016 10:31

Hi Matt,

If you look at the ASA's resources for undergraduate teachers, http://www.amstat.org/education/resourcesforundergradteachers.cfm, you will see:

In writing these documents, the ASA/MAA Joint Committee on Statistics Education provide more than one option for ordering topics. Instead, these documents provide examples and resources on how to incorporating the GAISE Guidelines into any type of introductory statistics course that you choose to teach. 

------------------------------
    Shonda Kuiper
    Grinnell College