ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  IRB Sample Generation

Posted 04-04-2016 12:51

Hi,

I wanted to know your opinion on an Institutional review board question.

If someone defines in their study a specific criterion they want to take a sample/survey from your college but your college does not meet the criterion for the study do you deny the request or just let the researcher gather their data regardless if your college meets the demographic or not.

Our college was chosen out of convenience.

I would love feedback.

Thank you

------------------------------
    Kelly Fitzpatrick
    Assistant Professor
    County College of Morris

• 2.  RE: IRB Sample Generation

Posted 04-04-2016 15:26

Need a few more details about the study.  Right now I don't see how the IRB relates to your question?

Michael Zelasky
    Head of U.S. Biometrics
    Sciformix Corporation

• 3.  RE: IRB Sample Generation

Posted 04-04-2016 16:19
    Edited by Kelly Fitzpatrick 04-04-2016 16:19

The IRB is approving/not approving a study to be conducted on campus yet the demographics/criterion  of the study don't meet the colleges profile.

Example: The researcher wants to study a trait about small colleges defined as 1,000 students or smaller.  The researcher chooses a college that does not meet this criterion and is a large college. Should you deny the request?

Thank you

Kelly Fitzpatrick
    Assistant Professor
    County College of Morris

• 4.  RE: IRB Sample Generation

Posted 04-05-2016 07:49

The IRB's job is to protect human subjects.  One consideration is the risk/benefit ratio.  If the scientific merits of the study ( in your case, an inappropriate population for the inclusion criteria) are questionable, then the risks to subjects may outweigh the benefits of the research, at least at your college.

I think it's fair to give the investigator an opportunity to explain how your college sample meet's his/her inclusion criteria and will adequately answer the research objectives.

Nancy Buderer, MS
    Consulting
    Biostatistician, Program Evaluator, Research Consultant

• 5.  RE: IRB Sample Generation

Posted 04-05-2016 08:27

In the case you describe, if you are a large college and the study population is "small colleges" defined as 1000 or smaller, then arguably there is no benefit to allowing to the survey to be conducted at your college.  There are likely risks (probably small, depending on the survey questions being asked) related to confidentiality.  But with no benefits, the risks would outweigh benefits and the study should not go forward.  I do agree with Nancy that you probably do want to give the investigator an opportunity to explain and/or adjust the inclusion criteria before moving forward.

Cheers,
    Joe

Joseph Nolan
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Director, Burkardt Consulting Center
    Northern Kentucky University
    Department of Mathematics & Statistics

• 6.  RE: IRB Sample Generation

Posted 04-06-2016 01:28

My one experience with IRB   was unsettling.

Three times I was asked for inclusion criteria

Three times I stated that all would be included. but to no avail.

Then I explained that asking the entire group for numbers to represent degrees

of satisfaction or dissatisfaction  would involve minimal stress.

The IRB rep. agreed but stated that the class professor should not

be asking  for those numbers.  A substitute should take the class for that  period.

Knowing the difficulty of an untrained person getting the experiment right, I refused.

Obviously I ran the experiment myself.

None of the subjects had a problem.

Harvey Blumberg