ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-07-2016 20:39
    Hi,
    does anyone knows how many PhD programs in Statistics are there in USA? Or, an approximation?
    Can you provide source.
    Regards,

Erick 

--
    Erick Suárez, PhD
    Departamento de Bioestadística y Epidemiología, Escuela Graduada de Salud Pública, RCM, Universidad de Puerto Rico
    email: erick.suarez@upr.edu
    tel  (787) 758-2525 ext. 1430

• 2.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-08-2016 02:37

What do you consider a PhD in Statistics? I can think of a few programs in my area where someone gets a PhD in Mathematics but, 45cr of coursework and 30 cr of thesis out of 90cr are statistics courses.

There are also PhD programs in Industrial Engineering where students specialize in applied stats. Some of these degrees have a higher content of stats than some PhD stat programs I have seen.

Do you want to count PhD Biostats degrees too?

------------------------------
    Andrew Ekstrom

Statistician, Chemist, HPC Abuser;-)

• 3.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-09-2016 08:21

I believe the AMSTAT news has a yearly issue (at least they used to) where they list all schools in the USA that offer advanced degrees in Statistics.  Thanks.

Steve

Steve Ascher
    Sr. Director, Biostatistics
    Janssen Research & Development

• 4.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-08-2016 07:33

I believe there are over a hundred graduate programs in statistics/biostatistics. When I was applying to PhD programs I used USNews to build a list of schools. May not be the most accurate ranking, but it gives you an idea where the school/program is in comparison to others.

Valeriia Sherina

• 5.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-08-2016 09:14

Dear Erick,

One way to answer your question is to look at the number of universities granting PhD's in statistics and biostatistics in recent years: http://community.amstat.org/blogs/steve-pierson/2015/09/03/statistics-and-biostatistics-degree-data-updated-to-include-2014-numbers. These numbers reached all time highs in 2014 with 67 universities granting PhD's in statistics and 31 in biostatistics. The blog entry also links to the lists of these universities. 

Best,

Steve

Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 6.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-09-2016 08:02

Thank for your reply. 

Erick Suarez Perez
    School of Public Health Univ. of Puerto Rico

• 7.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-09-2016 09:20

I used this site some years back to find undergraduate programs in the U.S.

College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics

It offers several parameters by which you may search.  I did not see, however, a way to limit to strictly doctorate level degrees. (But there may still be a way.)

For example, for any type of degree program that has "statistics" in the title, there are 161 U.S. post-secondary institutions that offer a degree or certificate above the bachelor level.

Kindly,

Reid

Reid Landes
    University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

• 8.  RE: Number of PhD program in Statistics

Posted 03-10-2016 13:09

You can count the programs that fit your definition from my list at List of Graduate Programs in Statistics

Csueastbay remove preview

List of Graduate Programs in Statistics

View this on Csueastbay >

.  While I won't claim it to be a census, it would give you a lower bound (and I think be pretty close!).

--Mitch

--
    Mitchell Watnik
    Professor and Chair
    Dept. of Statistics and Biostatistics
    http://statistics.csueastbay.edu/

2014-6 Past Chair and Curriculum and Instruction Committee Chair, CSUEB Academic Senate
    http://www20.csueastbay.edu/faculty/senate/

California State University, East Bay
    25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
    Hayward, CA 94542
    mitch.watnik@csueastbay.edu

"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education." -Martin Luther King, Jr.