ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  World Statistics Day ideas

Posted 10-14-2015 10:39

We have been thinking about education outreach ideas for World Statistics Day (https://worldstatisticsday.org/)  and I am curious what ASA members (in academia, industry, government, and students) are doing to celebrate WSD on the 20th

Is your institution/organization doing anything? Are you doing anything personally? How do you think World Statistics Day should be celebrated?”

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Rebecca Nichols
    Director of Education

American Statistical Association
    Promoting the Practice and Profession of Statistics™
    732 North Washington Street
     Alexandria, VA 22314-1943
    (703) 684-1221, Ext. 1877
     Fax: (703) 684-3768
    www.amstat.org

• 2.  RE: World Statistics Day ideas

Posted 10-15-2015 14:17
    I also have been thinking about World Statistics Day ideas. Does anyone happen to have any ideas the Detroit Fire Department could implement?

------------------------------
    Cassandra DeWitt
    Data Analyst
    Detroit Fire Department

• 3.  RE: World Statistics Day ideas

Posted 10-16-2015 11:08

Perhaps you could provide data from the fire department and have a contest on best visualization of the data.

There might also be some opportunities for outreach to the local schools about statistics and what you do as a statistician for the fire department (career day, classroom visits, etc.).  Perhaps you can reach out to an AP Statistics teacher at your local high school.  This is Statistics (www.thisisstatistics.org) has great resources and there are also resources at www.amstat.org/education.  I would be happy to help with ideas if you decide to do some school outreach.

thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca Nichols
    Director of Education

American Statistical Association
    Promoting the Practice and Profession of Statistics™
    732 North Washington Street
    Alexandria, VA 22314-1943
    (703) 684-1221, Ext. 1877
    Fax: (703) 684-3768
    rebecca@amstat.org