ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  RegressIt: free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis

Posted 04-23-2015 07:15
    This message has been cross posted to the following eGroups: Statistical Consulting Section and ASA Connect .
    -------------------------------------------

Dear colleagues:
    Version 2.2 of RegressIt, a free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis, has just been released at http://regressit.com.  Its graphical output for regression is designed to be superior to what is provided by commonly used statistics packages and programming languages (and vastly superior to Excel's analysis toolpack), and it includes a number of unique features that help to teach and support best practices of data analysis.   It's also fun to use.  Regression output worksheets include many live formulas as well as interactive presentation-quality tables and charts.   If you are a PC user who applies or teaches linear regression or descriptive data analysis to any extent, RegressIt will probably make a good companion, if not substitute, for some of the software you are currently using.  Take it for a tour--it's offered for free as a public service--and please share the link with your own colleagues or students if you enjoy it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Bob Nau
    Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
    -----------------------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: RegressIt: free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis

Posted 04-24-2015 00:59
    Great that you offer this, but it is a shame that you do not offer a Mac option or make it explicit here that this does not work on Macs.

------------------------------
    John Bacon-Shone
    Director, Social Sciences Reseach Centre
    University of Hong Kong

• 3.  RE: RegressIt: free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis

Posted 04-25-2015 14:25

John--

We are planning to develop a Mac version of RegressIt as soon as possible, but that will depend on Apple's support for Visual Basic for Applications, the language in which it is written.  Office 2016 is scheduled to be released in October, and its implementation of VBA is reportedly not going to be complete by then.   (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macofficepreview-macexcel/excel-2016-missing-features/d9aaa605-8acd-42ff-958c-a1e046f637e7 )  In the meantime, it is very possible to run RegressIt on a Mac within a PC window created with virtualization software such as VMware Fusion.  Half of my students are Mac users, and that works fine for them.  My university has a site license for it, as do many others.

--Bob Nau

• 4.  RE: RegressIt: free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis

Posted 04-24-2015 21:37
    Thank you for offering this Excel add-in for free.  This will facilitate the use of these statistical methods.

Jesus Cuellar Fuentes
    Consultant
    Cuellar Associates

• 5.  RE: RegressIt: free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis

Posted 04-26-2015 11:05

Thank you very much for this tool!   I need to do some work like this. Normally I'd use Minitab, SAS or R but my client wants me to use Excel because it's all they understand.   This should do the trick!

Bill Bentley
    http://www.value-train.com

Author of "Lean Six Sigma Secrets for the CIO"

www.linkedin.com/in/billbentley/

http://www.scoop.it/t/weird-statistics

• 6.  RE: RegressIt: free Excel add-in for linear regression and multivariate data analysis

Posted 04-27-2015 10:01

How does it do on the NIST Statistical Reference Datasets? Does it have the capacity to do simulation and, if so, using which RNGs? Sorry, but I live in a controlled network environment and can't just load free software.

Thanks,

Mike

Robert Hoekstra
    Mathematical Statistician
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention