ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-23-2020 23:18
    This Markov Model studies the problem of Re-opening Colleges under the Covid-19. We analyze the situation using a Markov Chain defined over a nine element state space that moves through a set of Transient states eventually leading to two Absorbing States: Expulsion or Coursework Completion. Through the infection (transition) rates we study their impact on the probabilities of ever reaching Expulsion and Course Completion, starting from different transient states. Differing infection rates depend on student compliance with community public health measures such as face covering, social distancing, etc. 

This model can be improved by those having better information, by modifying the state space, the transition rates and/or transition directions, among other modifications. Alternatively, it can be used as an illustration, if building their own. Once updated and fine tuned, or rebuilt differently, the Markov model can be used by college authorities to assess and improve their reopening plans, by faculty and students to assess their risks when participating in such re-openings, and by the government authorities to assess the validity and safety of such plans, to allow or proscribe them. Comments are welcome. The model is in:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343825461_A_Markov_Model_to_Study_College_Re-opening_Under_Covid-19

Thnx/Jorge.

------------------------------
    Jorge L. Romeu
    Emeritus SUNY Faculty
    Adjunct Professor, Syracuse U.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jorge_Romeu

• 2.  RE: A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-24-2020 09:37
    Jorge,

I find your paper pretty interesting. I have a question. I have been studying simulation. Would it make sense also to develop a simulation, perhaps as a compartmental model using differential equations similar in function to your Markov model? Anyway, studying your Markov model is suggestive of a lot of other interesting opportunities.

May I make one observation? I would find the state diagram easier to understand and use if it relied on labels for the states rather than its numbers with an attached legend.

Jai Jeffryes
    Graduate student in Data Science
    CUNY

Jai Jeffryes

• 3.  RE: A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-24-2020 09:46
    Thank-you for your comments and questions. Definitely, simulation applies here. I have done simulation with GPSS in similar circumstances. It is better than a model as it can violate some model assumptions (e.g. use other than Exponential distributions). I encourage you to do so!

Regarding labesl, I agree with you. Unfortunately I could not include labels in the state diagram events because they would be too small to read.

Thanks again/jorge.

Jorge L. Romeu
    Emeritus SUNY Faculty

• 4.  RE: A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-25-2020 13:49
    Hi Jai -
    We just submitted a paper on a related but different school reopening question that uses the compartmental modeling approach that you suggest. Specifically, we used an SEIR model to look at the impact of different strategies for K-12 school reopening (Landeros et al. "An Examination of School Reopening Strategies during the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic.") Here is the medRxiv link (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.05.20169086v1).  Giving Jorge's paper a quick read, it seemed to us that it would be possible to extend our approach to Jorge's interesting question of college reopening. If you like a copy of our Julia software code, please contact the lead author, Alfonso Landeros.
    - Janet

Janet Sinsheimer
    Prof. of Human Genetics, Computational Medicine, Biostatistics
    UCLA

• 5.  RE: A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-26-2020 15:51
    Janet,

Thank you for the link. I downloaded the paper and I'm studying it. I will write to Alfonso. That will give me a good excuse to learn Julia.

I find it jazzy that my guess about compartmental models turns out to have connected with someone's actual work. I only have approximately 2000 more questions to ask you!

I'm in what you would call an "encore career." I already had a career as a database administrator. Now I'm in graduate school for data science. I like the statistics side of it the best and the field I want to pursue is public health, epidemiology I suppose. At this moment, I await with baited breath the results for intern selection at NYC's Department of Health. As a late career changer, I don't know if they'll take someone my age, but I'm giving it a shot.

I expressed interest in Jorge's work. Your work looks interesting, too. I throw this question around everywhere just to see what happens. What can I do next to challenge myself and connect with people to contribute? Do you need someone to help wrangle data? Empty trashcans? Whatever?

Your paper is cool. I also wonder where this work leads. Is there some Ye Epi Model Shoppe that governments know to browse for policy making tools?

Jai

Jai Jeffryes

• 6.  RE: A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-24-2020 15:27
    Your model is very interesting to me. I devised a similar COVID-19 model for the more general population, but decided that available data were just too poor to try to implement it. (Garbage in, garbage out.) So I will use it for an example in a grad course in biostatistics at SDSU. It looks like you had better luck with your model that was not so overambitious.
    Comment on methodology: A much more sophisticated approach that I expect would yield better results would be MCMC.
    Comment on history: I suggest your historical references could be augmented. The method was far from new when I used it in the 1950s. I'll cite my uses for examples and you can look at my references from them for even earlier theory and application. I used it to model fishery trophic level competition when I was jointly in the math dept at U Hawaii and the Bu of Commercial Fisheries in Honolulu. That led to an invited paper at the 1960 ISI meeting in Tokyo. Gertrude Cox chaired my presentation and Ronald Fisher sat in the front row. Reference: Riffenburgh RH. A system analysis of the marine ecology. Proceedings of the International Statistical Institute, 1960 (Tokyo), 32nd Session: 57-66. Also Bulletin of the International Statistics Institute, 1961, 33: 57-66. It also appeared in Spanish: Riffenburgh RH. Un analisis sistematico de la ecologia marina. Boletin de Tecnicas y Applicaciones del Muestreo, 1960, 7: 43-53. And I followed up, then at U Connecticut, using it to show that the disappearance of the immense sardine fishery off central California (of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row fame) was a fluke rather than a cycle. (Later physically verified by SIO's Andy Souter by analysis of seafloor corings.) Reference: Riffenburgh RH. A stochastic model of interpopulation dynamics in marine ecology. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 1969, 26:2843-2880.

Bob Riffenburgh
    San Diego State University

• 7.  RE: A Markov Model to Study College Re-opening Under Covid-19

Posted 08-25-2020 14:19
    I want to thank both, Profs. Riffenburgh and Sinsheimer, for their thought provoking replies. Prof. Riffenburgh is evidently very well qualified and experienced. I surmise he is also retired? Which means he may have some free time, and perhaps would consider developing a model to help fight the Covid-19 struggle. Prof. Sinsheimer, do feel free to take as much as you want from my simple model, and use it to extend yours.

My objective, by developing these simple papers, is to provide examples to the statistical and the public health communities on the power that models have, and the need to build and use them. Statisticians may not be aware of all public health-related uses that models can have; and health professionals may not be familiar with model ability to assess, compare, select an efficient strategy by changing parameters and re-measuring, and detect badly needed (but absent) data, that could easily be captured and used, in models. Simple, straightforward models, that clearly make their point to potential users, are the ones that I am trying to build.

Box said: all models are wrong; some models are useful. Model assumptions rarely hold, as stated in the theory. But that doesn't make modeling any less useful.

It is very unfortunate that sometimes theoreticians and practitioners fight each other. Some time back, I addressed this issue in an Informs Conference paper , that later made its way into a professional journal: https://web.cortland.edu/matresearch/SWRelArtRomeuRAC1ST_Q2000.pdf 

Thank-you. Keep safe/jorge.

Jorge L. Romeu
    Emeritus SUNY Faculty