Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  invited session proposal

Posted 08-27-2013 09:35
    Hi Team,

Per last week's discussion, I've started the paperwork for an invited session on mentoring within ASA.  Comments and/or corrections are welcome. 
    Question: who were the proposed speakers?  I'm happy to reach out to them if I know who they are.  Also, I wasn't sure if someone else within CAS would also like to help and be the organizer for this proposed session so I left that spot blank.  In the 2014 rules a speaker may also chair another session, teach a short course, organize a roundtable, etc., etc. so it looks like the rules have relaxed a little since the last time I reviewed this in detail.  I hope this opens us up to more speakers.

Invited Session Proposal Submission

Deadline: September 5, 2013

To submit your session proposal, you will need the following information:

1. Session Type: INVITED
    2. Session Sub Type: PANEL
    3. Classification: COMPETITION
    4. Primary Sponsor: COMMITTEE ON APPLIED STATISTICIANS
    5. Session Title: Career Development through Mentoring within ASA
    6. Session Description.
    • Short description of session, including focus, content, timeliness and appeal.

Finding a mentor, especially for new ASA members, has its challenges. For one, many statisticians are introverted, or even if we are extroverted it can be difficult at times to find someone with i) a similar background, ii) an interest to meet and mentor (or mentee), and iii) the ability to provide useful feedback. The Committee on Applied Statisticians and the Committee on Minorities in Statistics have developed two mentorship programs within ASA. In this panel discussion, we plan to give a brief history of mentoring activities within ASA, discuss the current programs, its challenges, and advantages, hear first-hand accounts from mentors and mentees on their experiences, and provide useful information to the audience on ways that they can improve mentoring relationships with a focus on mentoring in statistics.

Past president Sastry Pantula has written two AMSTAT News columns on mentoring. Yet, dozens of people have come to CAS asking if such a program exists. Thus, we believe this session is an important topic which will benefit a large number of ASA members.

• List of invited speakers/panelists, including affiliation and e-mail address for each participant and tentative title for each presentation.

• Format of session (e.g., chair, 3 speakers and discussant).
    1. Session organizer: including affiliation and e-mail address.
    2. Session chair: ERIN TANENBAUM, NORC at the University of Chicago, Tanenbaum-Erin@norc.org
    3. Discussant (if any), including affiliation and e-mail address.

-------------------------------------------
    Erin Tanenbaum
    310-634-9405

• 2.  RE:invited session proposal

Posted 08-27-2013 10:06
    Hi Erin:

Thanks for getting  this started.  When I thought of this topic my idea was to also include other ASA groups e.g. committee on minorities- sydeka watson  and others who have already been successfully involved in the mentoring efforts. I already spoke with sydeka during JSM on this idea and she was interested in working with us, so I can reach out to her again.  Other possible speakers/discussants could be David Morganstein as he is quite active with mentoring efforts though he may be too busy next year to participate in this.  We should alos have representation from our coommittee as well  and I'll happy to contribute from CAS perspective.  This session proposal can also be a presented as a combined session with other committee(s).

As we discussed at last CAS meeting that you and I will work togther to get this session together- I have thought quite a bit on this session as well and we can work togther to finalize the details.  Given the tight timelines perhaps you and I can quickly touch base (email/teleconefrence?) and clarify our plans on this session.

Regards,  Amarjot

• 3.  RE:invited session proposal

Posted 08-27-2013 11:58
    Great, did we also mention Eric as a potential panelist or Erica?  Eric, any interest or availability in being a panelist?

I'm hopeful either Sydeka Watson is interested in being on the panel, or can suggest someone else from their committee.  If we had a couple people from their committee that would be even better. 

Ideally, we could have 1 representative from each committee, plus a mentor and a mentee, plus an ASA representative to discuss various issues.

I noticed that a panel has a minimum of 3 participants, and a maximum of 6 so let's keep exploring others whom we could include.

For submitting the proposal, there is only one 'primary sponsor' so we won't be able to list their committee as the sponsor until later. As for editing this, please edit away.  I'm stuck in meetings most of this week but happy to chat via email (Tanenbaum-Erin@norc.org) or phone 301-634-9405 when possible.

Erin Tanenbaum

• 4.  RE:invited session proposal

Posted 08-27-2013 17:35
    I will (hopefully) be speaking in an invited session at JSM 2014, so I won't be eligible to be a panelist.

The mentors/mentees speaking at a similar session at the Conference on Statistical Practice, Feb 20-22, 2014 will be:
    David Morganstein
    Dhuly Chowdhury
    Eric Vance
    Olawale Awe
    Lillian Lin
    Felicia Hartnett

Unfortunately none of these pairs are official pairs from the CAS mentoring project (which has paired 32 mentors/mentees [17 weirdly overlapping pairs]).

Eric Vance
    LISA (Virginia Tech's Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis)
    Director and Assistant Research Professor
    Blacksburg VA, United States