[Updates to blog entry since original posting (with Commission members entered on rolling basis):
- 9/7/17: Commission on Evidence-Based Policymaking Issues Final Report, 9/7/17
- 11/8/16: Third Meeting of the Commission for Evidence-Based Policymaking, Amy Nussbaum's blog entry on the 11/4 CEP meeting
- 11/7/16: Promoting policies that work: Six steps for the Commission on Evidence-Based Policymaking, 11/1 op-ed from JPAL's executive director.
- 10/27/16: Commission on Evidence-Based Policymaking: Public Hearing, Amy Nussbaum's blog entry on the 10/21 public hearing.
- 10/25/16: See ASA's comments to the Commission at the October 21 public hearing. The video of Clyde Tucker providing comments is here (at 31:10)
- 9/14/16: Commission issues Request for Comments on variety of issues
- 9/14/16: Commissions has new website: http://www.cep.gov/.
- 9/13/16: Introducing the Evidence-Based Policymaking Collaborative, from AEI's John Doar.
- 9/13/16: Second Meeting of the Commission on Evidence-Based Policymaking, a blog entry by Amy Nussbaum.
- 8/12/16: Presentation slides from JSM session on Commission: Overview slides; Involving the Statistical Community to Establish an Evidence-Based Clearinghouse; Pilot Evaluations Using the Census Bureau Linkage Infrastructure; The Census Bureau Linkage Infrastructure
- 8/4/16: See Amy Nussbaum's blog on first meeting of Commission.
- 8/4/16: Slides from first meeting of Commission posted at this Census page.
- 7/21/16: The agenda for the first meeting on 7/22 is linked from this Census page.
- 7/21/16: Senate Leader McConnell makes his three appointments, completing the membership of the Commission.
- 6/15/16 update: This commission will be the topic of a JSM Late-Breaking Session: "Invest in What Works: First Steps Toward Establishing Evidence-Based Policymaking Clearinghouse", Mon, 8/1/2016, 2:00 PM - 3:50 PM CC-W375b.]
President Obama named ASA Fellow Katharine Abraham to chair the Commission on Evidence-Based Policymaking on May 20. His appointment adds to three made by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid: ASA Fellow Robert Groves, Jeffrey Liebman, and Kim Wallin. For background on this commission, see this December 2014 blog entry: Congressional Leaders Murray and Ryan Introduce Bill Promoting Evidence-Based Policymaking. In this blog entry, I'll track appointments as I become aware of them. Please let me know of any additions. The Commission is made up of 15 members, with three each being appointed by the President, and the House and Senate Republican and Democrat Leaders.
- Katharine Abraham, Co-Chair; Director, Maryland Center for Economics and Policy and Professor, Survey Methodology and Economics, University of Maryland, appointed by President Obama
- Sherry A. Glied, Dean of New York University’s Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service; appointed by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi
- Robert Groves, Provost, Georgetown University; appointed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid
- Robert Hahn, Director of Economics, Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, University of Oxford; appointed by House Speaker Paul Ryan
- Ron Haskins, Co-Director, Center on Children and Families, Brookings; appointed by House Speaker Paul Ryan
- Hilary W. Hoynes, Professor of Public Policy and Economics, Haas Distinguished Chair in Economic Disparities, UC Berkeley; appointed by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi
- Jeffrey Liebman, Malcolm Wiener Professor of Public Policy and Director of Taubman Center for State and Local Government, Harvard University; appointed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid
- Bruce D. Meyer, University of Chicago; appointed by House Speaker Paul Ryan
- Paul Ohm, Georgetown University Law Center, appointed by President Obama
- Allison B. Orris, Associate Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs [OIRA], Office of Management and Budget, appointed by President Obama
- Kathleen B. Rice, Faegre Baker Daniels, appointed by Senate Leader Mitch McConnell
- Robert J. Shea, Grant Thornton, appointed by Senate Leader Mitch McConnell
- Latanya A. Sweeney, Professor of Government and Technology in Residence at Harvard University; appointed by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi
- Kenneth R. Troske, University of Kentucky
- Kim Wallin, Former Nevada State Controller; appointed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid
The text of the Evidence-Based Policymaking Commission Act of 2016 can be found here.
[See also (list started 6/12/16):
See other ASA Science Policy blog entries. For ASA science policy updates, follow @ASA_SciPol on Twitter.