ASA Traveling Course 2015
Instructor: Dr. Dianne Cook, Professor of Statistics, Iowa State University firstname.lastname@example.org
Course: Working with R to Analyze and Plot Data
This is a hands-on class: bring your computer! Information will be sent to you to download before the event. There is no public wifi at Pfizer.
Time: 8:30AM to 5PM May 18, 2015 (Monday) (Class starts at 9AM)
Location: Building CB4/2249&2250, Pfizer La Jolla Campus, 10646 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121
Directions and parking: A map of Pfizer and parking information can be found here. Please check in at CB4, west-side entrance. Park anywhere that is not reserved.
Please register at 123Signup: https://www.123signup.com/event?id=yrhgn. Class limited to the first 60 signups.
This workshop focuses on a data centric introduction to using R, in a reproducible way, incorporating lots of data graphics and exploratory data analysis. The sections will center around contemporary data examples, showing participants how to work their way through the analysis, and answering questions about the data.
- Introduction to R and reproducibility (including using knitr to incorporate code into pdf, html, Word documents)
- Introduction to plotting data (mapping using ggplot2, scatterplots, bar charts, time series, profiles, boxplots)
- Rearranging and cleaning data (learn to use packages tidyr, dplyr, and lubridate)
- Advanced plotting and polishing graphics (using cognitive principles for publication graphics; packages ggplot2, maps, ggmap, ggsubplot, productplots, GGally, gridExtra)
- Making shiny apps (create interactive web applets for users to interact with their/your/public data and analyses)