ASA Connect

View Only

Write Out Abbreviations the First Time

• 1.  Write Out Abbreviations the First Time

Posted 05-16-2017 11:16
    Dear ASA Statisticians,
         I just wanted to mention a general suggestion – In reading messages on the ASA Connect site, I occasionally run into a message that uses an abbreviation whose meaning is unknown to me.  This makes it difficult for me to see quickly whether this message is relevant to me and to understand it.  For anything other than obvious abbreviations, I recommend writing out an abbreviation in full words the first time it is used, with the abbreviation in parentheses, or vice versa, e.g., American Statistical Association (ASA) or ASA (American Statistical Association).  Thereafter you can use the abbreviation alone.  Just a suggestion that might help to more widely disseminate your message.  Thanks. 

Joseph J. Locascio, Ph.D.,
    Assistant Professor of Neurology,
    Harvard Medical School,
    and Bio-Statistician,
    Memory and Movement Disorders Units, 
    Massachusetts Alzheimer's Disease Research Center,
    Neurology Dept.,
    Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH),
    Boston, Massachusetts 02114
    Phone: (617) 724-7192
    Email: JLocascio@partners.org 

"The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer."

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
    addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
    contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
    http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
    but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
    dispose of the e-mail.