ASA Connect

View Only

Nancy Potok Named New OMB Chief Statistician

• 1.  Nancy Potok Named New OMB Chief Statistician

Posted 01-09-2017 20:36

Dear ASA Members, 

Word was shared late this afternoon that Nancy Potok has been named new OMB Chief Statistician, succeeding Katherine Wallman. Katherine's final day was January 3 and Nancy will begin as Chief Statistician next week. Nancy is currently the U.S. Census Bureau's Deputy Director and Chief Operating Officer.

The ASA congratulates Nancy on her appointment!

Below is the announcement that went to Census employees.

Sincerely,

Steve 

From the desk of John H. Thompson, Director...

I am pleased to announce that Nancy Potok, the Census Bureau's Deputy Director and Chief Operating Officer, will be starting a new job as Chief Statistician of the United States and Chief of the Statistics and Science Policy Branch in the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB). Katherine Wallman, the former Chief Statistician, recently retired from the OMB position she had held since 1992.
    Dr. Potok has had an illustrious career in public, private and nonprofit sectors. She has done a wonderful job leading the Census Bureau since her arrival in 2012. This is a great opportunity for Dr. Potok, and also for the Census Bureau, to have someone as talented and familiar with our statistics and programs lead the Federal Statistical System for the nation. While I am very sorry to see her leave the Census Bureau, I am happy that she is moving to a position where she will still be very involved with us and the rest of the statistical agencies.
    Dr. Potok will take up her duties as Chief Statistician next week. Stay tuned for additional information pertaining to her farewell.
    Congratulations Nancy!

------------------------------
    Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association
    ------------------------------