ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Do you want to see more discussion of journal articles on ASA Connect?

Posted 01-17-2017 11:34

Hello, all!

Have you had time to do any reading over the past few weeks? (I’ve done a bit!) Back before the holidays, Rodney Sparapani contacted me wondering if folks might like to see posts here on ASA Connect when new journal articles from JASA appear online.

What do you think? Would you like to see posts with links to new articles here on ASA Connect? I know the Taylor & Francis alert system isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and posting new article links here might also help get conversation on articles started.

(Oh, and—if you want to make your own posts about journal articles and invite discussion, a la a journal club, don’t hesitate! Some tips when posting about articles:

• Post links out to articles instead of attaching full articles to posts, to avoid violating copyright law.
    • Include questions or thoughts on an article when posting a link to it—don’t just post a link! Folks are much more likely to engage in discussion if you give them a clear hook to respond to.)

And to get things started, here are some of the most recent articles from JASA:

- Lara

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Do you want to see more discussion of journal articles on ASA Connect?

Posted 01-17-2017 11:51
    Hi Lara:

Well, I think it is a great idea obviously and I think others will too.  I blogged about
    a recent JASA article that I will copy below <http://community.amstat.org/wisconsinchapter/blogs/rodney-sparapani/2017/01/12/bayesian-nonparametric-estimation-for-dynamic-treatment-regimes-with-sequential-transition-times-by-xu-mueller-wahed-thall>.

Dear ASA:

Lara Harmon and I have been thinking about ways to incorporate JASA into ASA Connect.
    About a year and a half ago, I switched from receiving JASA by mail to getting it online.  But,
    I still miss getting it in the mail.  There is something fun about skimming the back cover and
    opening it at random.  And, sadly, I found no "fun" online equivalent.  So, we thought we would 
    highlight JASA in ASA Connect as an alternative to spark online discussion.  As part of that, we 
    are hoping to get short article synopses of recent JASA articles from ASA members posted to 
    ASA Connect.  So, I encourage all of you to join in and just have fun with this.  I'll go first.

Here is my review of <Bayesian nonparametric estimation for dynamic treatment regimes with sequential transition times by Xu, Mueller, Wahed & Thall>.

If you went to JSM last year in Chicago, you may have noticed that precision medicine is a
    very hot topic now.  I'm still learning about it.  And this is a great paper for anyone interested
    in precision medicine.  This article was discussed at JSM.  But, it was on the last day in the last
    session and attendance was sparse.  I really enjoyed the discussion and I could not wait to see
    the article which is out now.  And it is not just an article: there are three Comments and a 
    Rejoinder.  Of course, this article is no quick read: 30 pages in all.  It took me several days and 
    there are still some references that I need to track down.  That is not a criticism in any way; this 
    is to be expected of an excellent JASA article such as it is.

The other part of the article that I liked is the Bayesian nonparametric methodology presented.
    The description of the method was very well done.  However, to perform calculations such as 
    these, is no simple undertaking.  The authors give a link to the software they used which I have
    interpreted as <http://www.ams.jhu.edu/~yxu70>.  Sadly, I could not find their software at that 
    location.  

Rodney Sparapani, PhD Director, Wisconsin Chapter of the ASA

• 3.  RE: Do you want to see more discussion of journal articles on ASA Connect?

Posted 01-17-2017 11:57
    Sounds like a great idea. I am for it. 

Enayet

• 4.  RE: Do you want to see more discussion of journal articles on ASA Connect?

Posted 01-23-2017 11:51
    Hello, Enayet,

Thank you for your feedback! Feel free to post links to journal articles you'd like to start discussions of, too. Remember to post any article links with small excerpts from the articles and some questions or points you'd like to see discussed--that always encourages the best, most substantive discussions.

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association