ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Spatial Time Series Data Analysis

Posted 04-23-2018 16:17
    I am new to spatial data analysis and looking for recommendations on sources which discuss theories developed for analyzing spatial time series data.

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------
    Taysseer Sharaf
    University of Michigan- Dearborn

• 2.  RE: Spatial Time Series Data Analysis

Posted 04-24-2018 17:29
    For theory of spatial data analysis (applications as well), the following book is excellent:

Robert Haining, Spatial Data Analysis: Theory and Practice, Cambridge University Press, 2003 (ISBN-10: 0521774373).

For computational techniques, check the following book:

Chris Brunsdon and Lex Comber, An Introduction to R for Spatial Analysis and Mapping, Sage Publications (ISBN-10: 1446272958)

University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin (Madison) statistics departments used to have free mainframe FORTRAN codes for distribution for the purpose.  There may be PC/Apple versions from several places now-a-days.

Hope this would give you a head start.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

• 3.  RE: Spatial Time Series Data Analysis

Posted 04-25-2018 15:36
    ​I'm a Molenaar acolyte and would be remiss if I didn't point you toward:

Extended unified SEM approach for modeling event-related fMRI data (Gates, Molenaar, Hillary, & Slobounov; 2010).

If you don't need to model an experimental manipulation or couplings among regions you could probably get away with just uSEM (Kim et al., 2007 I believe). I've used the approach in matlab (it even has a GUI now) but the prior poster's solution might be more practical. Hard to tell without knowing the research question though.

Charles Beekman
    The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts