ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Is statistics tailing off?

Posted 01-28-2017 13:05

Friends, I wanted to tell you all that we are having another book drive to bring then number of research methods books up to close to 20000. I know you are all very busy, but if you would like to donate research methods books it would be most appreciated. 

In thinking about this, we decided to include a section in the library on the history of statistics.  I am in the process of contacting experts on the history of statistics. We would like to include books, and an archive of materials from those who helped to establish the field.  If you have a chance, we would appreciate if you could write to me about what might be included. (ronaldlaporte@gmail.com)

As I was playing around the history of statistics, I came across three comments about the origins of statistics coming from Egypt, resulting from counting of cattle, money (taxation) and census.   I cannot nail down a scientific reference for this.

I like to play around with Google ngram, as it gives a picture of usage of specific words over time. The results come out most fascinating.  Here is the usage for the word "statistics"  Why do you think there has been about a 20% drop since 1980. Obviously the word statistics can fall into many different contexts, but even still the drop is fascinating

I then looked at more specific statistical terms. It appears that ANOVA has become one of the major statistics of choice. However, linear regression and t test have leveled out.  Why do you think this has occurred? I suspect that the early rise was the result of computers being able to handle the data, but I do not know.bbb

Inline image 1

Inline image 2
    bGlobal Health, so near, so far

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity". (WHO)

Ronald E. LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Emeritus Director WHO Collaborating Center
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Telephone home 724 934 9023 
    Mobile  724 759 3283

Supercourse Project - www.pitt.edu/~super1 
    Science Supercourse - ssc.bibalex.org 
    Research Methods Library of Alexandria - http://ssc.bibalex.org/helpdesk/introduction.jsf
    Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) African Networks - http://afn.bibalex.org/GeneralPortal.aspx
    Central Asian Journal of Global Health -  cajgh.pitt.edu/

• 2.  RE: Is statistics tailing off?

Posted 01-30-2017 10:24
    Hi Ron:

In The American Statistician in likely 2014 (vol 68) or 2015 (vol 69), there was a great 2 page timeline on statistics.  Maybe connect with ASA to find out the origin of the info graphic as a cross check on your question.  I think they had it in England - again as counting.  Couldn't locate it is quickly online, these are approximate coordinates.

------------------------------
    Janet McDougall
    President
    McDougall Scientific Ltd.

• 3.  RE: Is statistics tailing off?

Posted 01-30-2017 14:03
    Hi All,
    This is totally anecdotal. But I think it is because now there are other buzzwords that mean "statistics" in some way, but aren't the actual word. Data Scientist is a new sexy word. So is anything with "analyst" attached to it (business analyst, data analyst...)
    What if you also searched for some of those words an added them to the mix? Then I think you would see the graph trending upwards since the 80's?
    It is all how you look at it, eh?
    Elaine

Elaine Eisenbeisz
    Owner and Principal Statistician
    Omega Statistics