ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  building scientific capacity in Africa

Posted 07-23-2019 16:00
    Dear Statistics Friends,
    I am sorry that we will not be coming to the statistics meetings next year.  It was so great 2 years ago to collects statistics books, have baklava and drink Arak.  I wish  we could do it again.

Things are really moving.  Our mission with you is to help to bring statistical equity to Africa.  Only 1% of the world's literature comes from Africa.  We want to raise this to 5% in five years

As you know you and the ASA have been fantastic, in that we collected and shipped 14,000 statistics books to the library of Alexandria.  In a one year period of time we created the world's largest research methods library.  We also established a free interlibrary loan system so that in any country in africa, a library could request chapters from your book.

If you are planning to retire or have books on your bookshelf that you have not read in 10 years, why not donate these books to the young people in Egypt, and Africa.  These are tax deductible.  It would seem that a book by Fleiss on rates and proportion would do more good teaching a Ph.D. student in Mali, then dusty, and yellow on your bookshelf.  

If you are interested, let me know and I will send instructions.  The cost is modest, about 60-70 cents postage per book to send them right to Alexandria.

We have an exciting development. Clearly one needs to have access to research methods.  However, to generate ideas and write papers, one needs access to the literature.  We are very pleased that the Library of Congress will be providing free interlibrary loans to libraries in Africa.

At the same time Larry Lessner will be building a research methods help desk.

We are moving and would love to have you join

Please share this note with your friends

Write to me at Ronaldlaporte@gmail.com

ron

------------------------------
    Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com
    724 934 9023

• 2.  RE: building scientific capacity in Africa

Posted 07-24-2019 10:36
    Ron, are you familiar with openstax.org?  They have a free intro to stats and another intro to business stats book, among a variety of entry-level college texts.  I haven't perused them, so I have no direct evaluation of their worth, but the organization is sponsored by Rice University. (NB.: I'm an alumnus.)

Perhaps they would have a place in your work.

Bill Harris
    Data & Analytics Consultant
    Snohomish County PUD

• 3.  RE: building scientific capacity in Africa

Posted 07-24-2019 12:55
    Bill

Thank you very much.  I do not know about openstax, I am going to get in contact with them.  We have developed several components to the research methods library besides the book library.  We have a virtual library where we are collecting electronic resources, here we will link openstax.  We have several novel aspects. The first is the Euclid library. Curtus tilves developed this. It is easier to be seen graphically. Here is the beginning of a basic course in statistics.

Statistics 101               LaPorte           Harris       Cochran    Wasserman  Yates

Intro

Freq dist

Variance

Correlation

The concept is simple, if you could not follow my lecture on Variance, you could jump over to your lecture and then to Cochran.  It is compressed of youtube presentations and ebooks.  If a student views all 5 lectures on variance, they probably will never be a statistician like you.

Also, for the topics of statistics we are collecting different youtube presentations. In amongst the grumpy cat, and piano playing dog lie some wonderful lectures.  What got me interested is that there is a whole series of lectures in youtube on stastistics and modern dance.  We avoid "talking head" lectures and lectures that fo on for an hour.  If any of you would like to mine youtube for cool statistics lectures we would love to have you join

I will contact the people at openstax to discuss collaboration

ron

Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com
    724 934 9023