ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Statsketball 2019 Student Contest Coming Soon!

Posted 01-28-2019 21:15

Statsketball 2019 Student Contest Coming Soon!

For the third year, ASA's student-focused initiative This is Statistics is launching its popular Statsketball Tournament! Through this contest, high school and undergraduate students use statistics to predict results for the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Statsketball consists of two contests. The first contest is the "Pick 'Em": Upset Challenge, where students submit a list of 32 winners for the first-round games. The second contest is the "Build Your Own Bracket": Draft Challenge, where teams have 224 drafts points to assemble a cohort of teams from the seeded participants. Entries for both contests are due by March 14 at 12:00 p.m. ET.

Guidelines, announcements and other details about the contest will be shared at ThisIsStatistics.org/statsketball.

We thank ASA member Mike Lopez for suggesting and designing the contests. 

------------------------------
    Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Statsketball 2019 Student Contest Coming Soon!

Posted 01-29-2019 15:18

Hello!

I read on the webpage for last year  (2018) that the contest focused on the Men's NCAA tournament. Can students compete in the contest but with the Women's teams? You might encourage more girls to participate by including the other tournament. 

I do plan on having my students enter the contest for extra credit, so I'm excited to read about the details when the come out. :) 

Jennifer Ward

• 3.  RE: Statsketball 2019 Student Contest Coming Soon!

Posted 01-30-2019 09:31
    Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for the interest and the question. We'd be happy to expand this to include the women's tournament.

For those curious about why we didn't include the women's tournament initially, we discussed it a couple years ago and looked at a number of factors. If memory serves, the factors leading us to use only the men's tournament for the first couple years included respecting staff bandwidth and wanting to be sure there was sufficient interest in the contest. 

Thanks again,
    Steve

Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 4.  RE: Statsketball 2019 Student Contest Coming Soon!

Posted 01-30-2019 14:18
    Hi Steve, 

Yes, I could see how adding the Women's game would basically double the work. I also see other logistical problems since the contest is new. 

Last year I didn't hear about the contest until it was almost over. I appreciate your "Here it comes!" message because I've sent a message to all our stats teachers at Clark College and I'm hoping to get a lot of interest at our own school. I hope to line the walls with whatever our students come up with and share how statistics can be applied to something as fun as basketball. :)

Jennifer

Jennifer Ward