ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Looking a reference book for engineering and science major undergraduate statistics course

Posted 04-06-2018 10:00

Dear ASA members,

I am looking a reference book for an undergraduate level statistics course. This course is designed for engineering and science major students. Similar to other undergraduate statistics courses, we cover graphical and numerical summaries for both quantitative and categorical variables; one, two and three samples inferential procedures; correlation and regression, analysis of frequencies such as chi-square test; sampling, etc. I am specifically looking a reference book that has applications suitable for engineering and science major students.

I would be very appreciative if you can suggest a reference book(s).

Sincerely,

Achut Adhikari

Department of Statistics

Miami University, Oxford Ohio

• 2.  RE: Looking a reference book for engineering and science major undergraduate statistics course

Posted 04-06-2018 10:10
    I know many Engineering programs use this book-

Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers 
    by Douglas C. Montgomery (Author), George C. Runger  (Author)

Enayet Raheem

• 3.  RE: Looking a reference book for engineering and science major undergraduate statistics course

Posted 04-09-2018 07:51

I have worn out my 1st edition copy of Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences by Jay DeVore. It's full of examples with references to published journal articles on a wide range of subjects.

------------------------------
    Douglas Hall
    Sr. Research Scientist
    Battelle Memorial Institute

• 4.  RE: Looking a reference book for engineering and science major undergraduate statistics course

Posted 04-09-2018 10:53
    Box, Hunter, and Hunter, Statistics for Experimenters is also excellent.  We used it when teaching statistics to chemists and engineers at Goodyear.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org