ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  liability insurance coverage for statistical consulting

Posted 02-08-2019 11:18
    Hello,
    I recently posted on the NJ Chapter of ASA a question about whether or not those doing statistical consulting carry liability insurance for their professional activity (not your homeowner's general liability coverage), and whether anyone knows of insurance carriers who underwrite liability for statistical consulting. What prompted my query was a contract requirement from the insurance department of a university where I was approached to consult on a federally-funded grant. The contract requirement was to show evidence of $2M of coverage for each occurence of broad form blanket contract liability, property damage, personal injury (a, b and c), product liability,  worker's comp,  errors and ommissions and auto liability. Further, the policy must name the university as an additional insured.

I only received one response from my NJ Chapter query. That person noted that this insurance is typically found under a job title like "statistician" but rather "business services -- not legal".

So my questions are:
    How many consulting statisticians out there carry insurance?
    What type of coverage do you have?
    Is the contracting agency ever named as an additional insured?
    What companies offer such policies?

Aside from public responses, I will summarize and post however many individual replies I receive.
    Thanks in advance.

...don

------------------------------
    [Donald J] [McMahon]
    [Statistical Consulting Services]
    [Nyack] [NY]

• 2.  RE: liability insurance coverage for statistical consulting

Posted 02-10-2019 11:52
    I purchased a professional liability policy from Hartford about a year ago.   They were easy to deal with.  It was required by my consulting contract and yes I made my client a beneficiary on the policy.   I tried State Farm and they would not issue it.

Bill Bentley

William Bentley
    Owner & Chief Data Analyst
    Value-Train

• 3.  RE: liability insurance coverage for statistical consulting

Posted 02-11-2019 12:54
    Hi Don! We've had multiple discussions about this on our discussion board in the Statistical Consulting section; answers definitely vary a lot according to the work that people do. I'll put in a small plug for our section, if you're not already a member--and if you are, let me know and I'll link you to the discussions!

Kim

Kim Love
    Past Chair, ASA Section on Statistical Consulting
    Owner and Lead Consultant
    K. R. Love Quantitative Consulting & Collaboration

• 4.  RE: liability insurance coverage for statistical consulting

Posted 02-11-2019 15:31
    Thanks Kimberly. I'm not a member of Consulting so couldn't post there.

I want to thank everyone for responding to this request. What I've learned is that some insurers, The Hartford was mentioned favorably, will write policy to meet the requirements of the contracting agency. Whereas other insurers will write policy if you can convince the contracting agency to restrict liability to Errors and Ommissions. Annual premiums seem to be in the $700 - $900 range.

I'm going to conclude that, while some contracting agencies routinely require coverage for statistical consultants, that such agencies are in the minority.  I've only encountered one university with this requirement.

So thanks again everyone. Follow-up should refer to the Statistical Consulting group where Kimberly says there are past discussion threads that have gone over this issue.

...don

[Donald J] [McMahon]
    [Statistical Consulting Services]
    [Nyack] [NY]