ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  ASA Membership - Structural Issue

Posted 03-21-2019 09:40
    Greetings all,

I am the Past President of ASA Pittsburgh Chapter, and in my time as a Chapter officer, I have encountered an issue in communicating with members which I believe the ASA may be able to help with.  I frequently use the ASA website to communicate with our Chapter membership through email.  Periodically, one of the faculty or professional members would comment to me that they had not received an email from me in awhile, wondering if there was some glitch with Chapter communications or if they were just no longer listed as a Chapter member.

We have now realized that when someone joins the ASA as a "Lifetime" member, that does not include Chapter dues, so once their current year Chapter membership expires, they are dropped from the Chapter list (since our Chapter dues are tied in with our main ASA membership) and stop receiving communications sent to that Chapter list unless they revisit their membership and pay Chapter dues once again.  This has made life difficult when we try to organize events, as it means many of our senior faculty who have signed up for an ASA Lifetime membership are no longer receiving our Chapter communications.

We would appreciate knowing if anyone else has also had this issue, so we might raise it with ASA and see if they can help address this.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Assistant Professor of Medicine
    Center for Research on Health Care Data Center (CRHC-DC)
    Center for Clinical Trials & Data Coordination (CCDC)
    University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
    200 Meyran Avenue, Suite 300
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    Email: ada62@pitt.edu
    Twitter: @ADAlthousePhD

• 2.  RE: ASA Membership - Structural Issue

Posted 03-21-2019 09:43
    Hello, @Andrew Althouse

Thank you for pointing this out! You have successfully raised it with the ASA. I'm curious to hear if other chapters have been affected, as well.

Even if other chapters haven't had this happen, I'll reach out to other staff here about this issue asap.

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 3.  RE: ASA Membership - Structural Issue

Posted 03-25-2019 12:17
    Hello, all!

We've followed up with @Andrew Althouse directly, but I wanted to post this here, as well, for folks' reference.

ASA Lifetime memberships do not include chapter dues, so members must continue to pay those dues in order to be kept on the chapter roster. Annually, we prompt lifetime members to pay any additional dues in order to stay active in their local chapter.

If you have any questions about Lifetime membership, chapter renewal, or renewal in general, email me at lara@amstat.org and I'll put you in touch with someone who can answer your question.

- Lara

​​

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association