ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Beware of Conference Organizers...!!!

Posted 01-16-2019 05:23
    Dear Friends,

I participated  for the  International Conference on Society of Business, Economics, Social Science & Humanities, organized by,  Academic Fora - (Office Address: 125 Jalan Selta 5, Jinjang Ultra 52500, Kuala Laumpur, Malaysia),  in Singapore, in year 2015. Registration fee was USD 300.

My paper titled " Circular Methods on Forecasting Risk & Return of Hotel & Travel Sector of Sri Lankan Share Market" was selected as the best paper of the conference.

Proceedings were published and informed  that the full papers be published in their journals soon. However, journal publication was not done. I kept on writing them regarding the same, but  no receive a reply.

Recently, I got a posting from the same organizer, regarding a future conference. Replying them, I told them about the previous incidence and stressed that " I will never participate in any of your conferences and discourage others, as you are cheating authors". Surprisingly I got a reply in no time. They have apologized and said it was a mistake; promised to publish it in  "Journal of Administrative and Business Studies 
    (JABS)," Vol. 4, Issue, 4.

Today I received the camera ready copy for publication. It was instructed that, " Verify the camera ready copy of your article.... and let us know if any changes required ". Further  it was mentioned that " Feedback received after 24 Hours will not be entertained and this pdf will be considered final for publication...no further changes will be entertained once the paper will be published".

Luckily I was not busy at that time, went through the paper for verification and was shocked to see the alterations.

Somebody else's  e-mail address is given as the corresponding author's, contents of the paper has changed, large number of unnecessary references were  included...

You may have similar experiences. What can we do for this? How to take actions against them?

------------------------------
    W.G. Samanthi Konarasinghe( PhD)
    Statistician /Senior Lecturer
    Institute of Mathematics & Management,
    Sri Lanka

• 2.  RE: Beware of Conference Organizers...!!!

Posted 01-17-2019 06:34
    I always check journals and conferences, if I don't know them, with a little homework on the web.  Jeffrey Beall often has relevant news about this.  Here is the first Google result for Academic Fora, after their own page:
    http://asianeditor.blogspot.com/2016/08/jeffrey-beall-beware-these-predatory.html
    so we clearly see that they are (probably) offering conferences with some undesirable aspects, to say the least.  I would be cautious about such conferences.

Mark Ward
    Purdue University

• 3.  RE: Beware of Conference Organizers...!!!

Posted 01-18-2019 10:03
    Beall has stopped tracking predatory publishers. I maintain blogs for identifying questionable conferences at Flaky Academic Conferences and publishers at Flaky Academic Journals. Once money changes hands, it is hard to get it back, and publishing in certain journals can be hazardous to one's reputation.

David Kaye

• 4.  RE: Beware of Conference Organizers...!!!

Posted 01-18-2019 12:53
    With regard to the issue of predatory publishers and predatory conferences, Jeffrey Beall pioneered the concept and the list. 

Regrettably, he withdrew from the issue in about 2016. He no longer is active in this issue.

Paul A. Thompson

Paul Thompson
    President
    Thompson Biostatistical Solutions

• 5.  RE: Beware of Conference Organizers...!!!

Posted 01-17-2019 10:10
    All you can do is withdraw the publication.

Jon Shuster

• 6.  RE: Beware of Conference Organizers...!!!

Posted 01-18-2019 05:06
    Withdraw and submit your paper to a reputable journal.

Lars Lyberg