ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

• 1.  Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-05-2016 16:12

Hi All, 

I am looking for book recommendations about Biostatistics. My current position is a Biostatistician at a mid-size CRO in San Diego, CA. I obtained a Bachelor's in Mathematics and a Master's in Statistics, so I am looking for a more application based book as opposed to a theoretical book. Any recommendations would be great!!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ciani Sparks

• 2.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-06-2016 02:38

When I get questions like this I often recommend my two books.  I will give you a reference to them and also mention some other books I like very much.  Mine are:

1. The Essentials of Biostatistics for Physicians, Nurses, and Clinicians By Michael R. Chernick and published by Wiley in 2011.

2. Introductory Biostatistics for the Health Sciences:  Modern Applications Including Bootstrap By Michael R. Chernick and Robert H. Friis and published by Wiley in 2003.

Book 2) was designed for the course I taught in the Health Sciences Department at Cal State Long Beach.

Book 1) was intended for the physicians, nurses and clinicians that I worked with at Lankenau Institute for Medical Research as well as for the course I taught at the Population Health Department of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.

I must admit that I have been highly influenced by Doug Altman's book

Practical Statistics for Medical Research Chapman & Hall / CRC 1990.

and Robert H. Riffenburgh's Statistics in Medicine 2nd Edition pubished by Elsevier Inc.2006 and 3rd Edition published by Academic Press in 2012. 

Michael Chernick

• 3.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-06-2016 02:52

I may recommend this book:  http://www.gyldendal.no/Faglitteratur/Medisin/Laereboeker/Medical-statistics .

Tore Wentzel-Larsen
    Researcher
    Norwegian Centre for Violence and Traumatic Stress Studies
    Regional Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Eastern and Southern Norway

• 4.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-07-2016 23:43

Thank you all for your help!!

Ciani Sparks

• 5.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-06-2016 09:26

I came across a great book in my recent teaching: Principles of Biostatistics. by Pagano & Gauvreau.

Ana Nora Donaldson
    Professor of Statistics
    Stony Brook University

• 6.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-07-2016 09:33

We have just published the book entitled Biostatistics in Public Health using Stata published by CRC Press. This book has the purpose of striking a balance between theory, application, and Stata programming in the public health field. The book shares our insights gathered through more than two decades of collective experience teaching in the academic programs of biostatistics and epidemiology at the University of Puerto Rico School of Public Health. You can read detailed summary of the book at the following link:

www.crcpress.com/Biostatistics-in-Public-Health-Using-STATA/Suarez-Perez-Nogueras-Moreno-Gorrin/p/book/9781498721998.

Erick Suarez Perez
    School of Public Health Univ. of Puerto Rico

• 7.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-07-2016 13:03

"Statistical Methodologies With Medical Applications",(2017), by Poduri. S.R.S. Rao will be published this month by Wiley. It is intended for Statistics, Biostatistics and Epidemiology students and for health related research. It contains all the major Statistical methodologies applications.  Each topic contains illustrations and more than one hundred exercises with solutions.

[S.R.S. Rao] [Poduri][Professor of Statistics][University of Rochester][Rochester, NY 14627]

• 8.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-07-2016 14:36

#IntroductiontoBayesianBiostatistics

Josue Guzman

• 9.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-08-2016 06:45
      |   view attached

How to Report Statistics in Medicine, by Lang and Secic

Michelle Secic

• 10.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-08-2016 15:04

I would recommend the following books for intermediate applied/biostatistics courses and application:

1. WJ Dixon and FJ Massey Jr., Introduction to Statistical Analysis, 4th ed (there maybe more recent ones, this is my most recent one), McGraw-Hill, 1983.

2. P Armitage, G Berry, and JNS Mathews- Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 4th ed., 2001, Blackwell (Wiley).(Ignore the discussion on Fisher's 2-tail exact test, viz. 2 x one-tail test).

For nonparametric book, I would recommend M. Hollander and DA Wolfe, Nonparametric Statistical Methods, 2nd Ed., Wiley, 1999 (That is my most recent edition, there maybe more recent ones).

Ajit Thakur
    Associate Director

• 11.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-08-2016 19:01

I would like to make several suggestions:

1st      Biostatistics: An Applied Introduction for the Public Health Practitioner (Bush 2011)

2nd     Epidemiology for Public Health Practice (Friis & Sellers 2013)

Happy Hunting!

Jamie Farren
    Student Instructor
    West Texas A & M University

• 12.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-09-2016 08:00
    Frank Harrell, Jr: Regression Modeling Strategies

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Scott R Millis, PhD, ABPP, CStat, PStat®

• 13.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-12-2016 07:39

Harrell's book, RMS, is great. But get the 2nd ed, as it is more comprehensive with new topics not included in 1st ed..

Tim

Timothy G. Gregoire

J. P. Weyerhaeuser Professor of Forest Management

School of Forestry & Environmental Studies

Yale University

360 Prospect St, New Haven, CT, U.S.A. 06511

Ph: 1.203.432.9398 mob: 1.203.508.4014  fax:1.203.432.3809

• 14.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-09-2016 08:38

Only one book will never be enough. So I think you would want to add Biostatistical Analysis by Zar to your list. But you have a Master's in Statistics, so you must know the classics

Categorical Data Analysis by Agresti

Nonparametric Statistical Methods by Wolfe

How to Report Statistics in Medicine by Lang and Secic was very helpful in my first year as a biostatistician.

Mira

Mira Brown
    Biostatistician
    Akron Children's Hospital

• 15.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-09-2016 10:17

We will be grateful for any comments and suggestions regarding our book:

Statistical Testing Strategies in the Health Sciences (Chapman & Hall/CRC Biostatistics Series).

This book attempts to represent a part of our life that definitely consists of mistakes, stereotypes, puzzles etc. all that we love. We truly thank the reader for his/her participation in our life! We hope that the presented material can play a role as prior information for various research outputs.

Albert Vexler
    Associate Professor
    State University of New York

• 16.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-10-2016 09:38

Get into the 21st. Century Statistics (according to Dennis V Lindley):

#IntroductionToBayesianStatisticsUsingR. 

Any book on Bayesian Bio-Statistics will be beneficial for you and all your students!!!

Josue Guzman

• 17.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-13-2016 13:24

This book is very easy to understand,

Robert H. Riffenburgh. Statistics in medicine. 3rd ed. 2012 Academic Press.

Ramzan Tahir
    CHUM Research Center

• 18.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-17-2016 03:29

I recently finished reading this one that was good:

Biostatistics, 2nd Edition

Elsevier remove preview
    Biostatistics, 2nd Edition
    Includes access to a companion website with further examples and a full explanation of computer packages * Over 40% new material with modern real-life examples, exercises and references * New chapters on Logistic Regression; Analysis of Survey Data; and Study Designs* Introduces strategies for analyzing complex sample survey data* Written in a conversational style more accessible to students with real data Today, mathematics, biology, medicine, and statistics are closing the interdisciplinary gap in an unprecedented way and many of the important unanswered questions now emerge at the interface of these disciplines.
    View this on Elsevier >

Keith Chamberlain
    Analytical Chemist

• 19.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-19-2016 05:23
    You could take a look at the book I co-authored with Bill Johnson:

- meant to explain the most basic ideas to non-mathematicians

--

Robert

Robert C. Elston,                                                            
    Distinguished University Professor Emeritus    Email:  robert.elston@cwru.edu                         
    Case Western Reserve University                   Website: http://darwin.cwru.edu/rce/  

3000 Galloway Ridge, Apt G301                         Phone: (001) 919-542-0841
    Pittsboro NC 27312

• 20.  RE: Looking for Biostatistics Book Recommendations

Posted 12-19-2016 08:47

Next year we will publish with Wiley the book entitled “Application of regression models in Epidemiology”.

Erick Suarez Perez
    School of Public Health Univ. of Puerto Rico